Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building An XJ For My Wife

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Building An XJ For My Wife

So, I picked up this '99 XJ to build for my Wife Last weekend. I have a '13 Tacooma that I've been tinkering on for the past 3 years. My Wife loves going to, and driving my truck at, the local off road park (Rausch Creek). I figure it's time to build her her own rig.

The XJ spent most of its life in AZ and is free from the typical NE rot. It came with a Rubicon express 3.5" lift. Super Flex coils up front with LCA drop brackets and internally rotating LCA and UCA, full Super Flex rear leaf pack, ARB lockers front and rear, 4.56 re-gear, and new 33x10.5 KM2s.

The lockers haven't been plumbed, so I ordered the small ARB compressor to run them. I already have the big twin compressor in my truck with a 2.5 gallon tank for OBA and to run my lockers. Since we'll be wheeling together, I didn't see any reason to do an expensive OBA setup on the second rig.

Right now the XJ is up on stands in my garage getting ready for a Serious Off Road 1 ton steering kit, adjustable track bar, chromoly axles with full circle clips, and front and rear brake job. I have a bunch of boring tune up and maintenance parts sitting on the work bench right now.

The plan for the near future is to make the XJ safe and reliable, do the one Ton upgrade, install the compressor and get the lockers working, put the chromoly axles in, and go from there.

Next up, I need to look into cutting and folding the rear punch weld. The front was pretty nicely cut when I bought the XJ.
Attached Thumbnails Building An XJ For My Wife-img_2749.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_2750.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_2753.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_2748.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_2747.jpg  

Last edited by HolyHandGrenade; 01-15-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sweet looking XJ
Old 01-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Codak
Sweet looking XJ
Thank you. It's a good starting point.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Sweet xj. I love that color
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Guywitha92
Sweet xj. I love that color
Thank you.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

NICE.
My girls is similar, 4:56's, ARB's, etc. (July COTM !!!)
We have the ARB mini compressor under the passenger seat. Makes only a slight noise when activated, and our switch panel is right infront of the cup holders. Kinda spooks the person in the seat if they're not expecting it to come on. lol
We don't see much mud, and she daily drives it, so we changed out the GY kevlars for some Kenda Klever AT's. pretty nice tire so far for being low dollar.
Attached Thumbnails Building An XJ For My Wife-imag0216.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Krakker
NICE.
We have the ARB mini compressor under the passenger seat. Makes only a slight noise when activated, and our switch panel is right infront of the cup holders. Kinda spooks the person in the seat if they're not expecting it to come on. lol
We don't see much mud, and she daily drives it, so we changed out the GY kevlars for some Kenda Klever AT's. pretty nice tire so far for being low dollar.
Nice. That's pretty much what I'm shooting for right there. I was wondering where to put the compressor. I had the small compressor under the hood of my Tacoma before I upgraded to the twin. Now the compressor and the tank are behind the rear seats. I never cared for the small compressor being out in the elements. Maybe I'll put the Wife's under the seat too.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 PM

NICE.
I like those flares. Where'd you find those? Pretty aggressive cut in the rear too. Looks great. I need to research cutting the rear of ours.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:37 PM

Got the old steering, axles, hub assemblies, and brakes out of the way tonight. I LOVE working on dry climate vehicles. Every bolt started no prob. You just don't get that here on a vehicle more than a few years old.
Attached Thumbnails Building An XJ For My Wife-img_2778.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_0097.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_2779.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade
I like those flares. Where'd you find those? Pretty aggressive cut in the rear too. Looks great. I need to research cutting the rear of ours.
Thanks.
They are Bushwacker flares. they are for cut N trim fenders and give a good deal of coverage and room. I'm on a 3.5" lift with 33's.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanks.
They are Bushwacker flares. they are for cut N trim fenders and give a good deal of coverage and room. I'm on a 3.5" lift with 33's.
Nice. Ours is 3.5 on 33's as well.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Nice, look forward to seeing how this build goes. Mine is running a similar setup. RE 3.5" coils with their superflex arms and Rustys 3.5" leafs on 33x10.50 km2s. With my rear locker and aired down I just crawl all over Rausch even with stock 3.55 gearing. I have a build thread as well if you want to follow mine too. How do you like the 4.56 with 33x10.50s? Good luck! Love the yota
Attached Thumbnails Building An XJ For My Wife-image-696063770.jpg  

Last edited by unidentifiedbomb; 01-20-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Last edited by unidentifiedbomb; 01-20-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Nice, look forward to seeing how this build goes. Mine is running a similar setup. RE 3.5" coils with their superflex arms and Rustys 3.5" leafs on 33x10.50 km2s. With my rear locker and aired down I just crawl all over Rausch even with stock 3.55 gearing. I have a build thread as well if you want to follow mine too. How do you like the 4.56 with 33x10.50s? Good luck! Love the yota
Cool. I'll check it out. I've only driven the Cherokee once. Very slowly home in a snow storm after I bought it in 2WD because there was no front driveshaft. I'll have to get back to you on the 4.56s. We're looking forward to getting the XJ down to Rausch.

Thank you. The Taco is my baby. The list of mods goes on and on. It'll be getting a little longer once I get the XJ rolling again and can get my truck back in the garage. The truck is locked/locked on 35's. it does pretty good for a long, heavy, IFS rig.

Here's all the info on the Taco if anyone is interested.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-12769284

Last edited by HolyHandGrenade; 01-23-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:56 PM

Finally found a little time to get something done on the Jeep. Still boring stuff. Just rear brakes. Exhaust is next. Waiting on a friend to drop off his ball joint press so I can get going on the front end. I have new ball joints, hub assemblies, Chromoly axles, forged U-joints, brake pads, rotors, calipers, 1 Ton steering, and adjustable track bar waiting to go in.
Attached Thumbnails Building An XJ For My Wife-img_0109.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_0110.jpg   Building An XJ For My Wife-img_0111.jpg