Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beast Mode - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Beast Mode - Build Thread

Time to start the write up of my build thread. I had a 96 Cherokee Sport I had purchased about 2 years ago and in December of '12 I was in a bad accident that totaled out my Jeep (and almost me). I was hit by another vehicle and pushed into a pole going about 50 MPH. Ripped off the front bull bar and crunched my XJ like an accordion.

Name:  image1-1.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  216.0 KB

I finally received my settlement check a few months ago and after a long search for the right replacement, I bought a 1998 Cherokee with 125k miles on it. It was in great condition and I couldn't pass it up with the parts already in it and price - $5,000.

Name:  image1-2.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  155.4 KB
Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  145.6 KB

The previous owner was a mechanic and he went through the vehicle and replaced all necessary parts including:

Headlights
Sway bar bushings
Catalytic converter
Engine Mounts
A.C. lines
Plugs
Wires
Injectors

Was a nice added bonus as it saved me the trouble of having to go through it all myself. Now I can focus on the fun things

These parts were also already installed on the XJ:

Rubicon Express 4.5 in short arm lift
ProComp ES9000 Shocks
1-Ton Steering
Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines
Crawler Tech Custom Trac Bar
Powertrax No-Slip Traction in rear
Extended Drive Shafts
SYE
Off-Road Armor Sliders
Bushwacker Fender Flares
32x11.50 BFG All-Terrains
15" American Racing BAJA rims

Plans for the Vehicle is to produce a daily driven off-road expedition vehicle. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and enjoy road trips. I want to be able to drive this vehicle from Denver to South American on or off-road with no problems.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM

Took the Jeep up to Slughterhouse last weekend to check out the performance and see how everything was holding up.

While I was coming down the back side, I herd a pop and some clanking. Stopped and looked under and there was my front drive shaft hanging. Lost a bolt from the front diff strap and a cap from my x at the u joint. I was able to retrieve the cap and only had 2 bearings missing. I used a bolt from the fuel rail and bent the strap back to shape using the other strap as a template. Got the drive line all hooked up and proceeded down the mountain.

What I love about Cherokees is you can always find a way to mend the wounds while your on the trail, as long as you have your tools with you.

Coming back up the back side, I didn't want to put it in FWD and mess anything up. I took the right side as it is slightly easier. Put the "locker" to the test and crawled right up the ruts in 2wd no problem.

Only trail shot:
Name:  image1-5.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  168.2 KB

Trail companion army crawling in the mud. She can find the slightest bit of water from miles away.

Name:  image1-4.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  159.4 KB
Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Replaced the u-joint and all new hardware int he front drive shaft.

Name:  image1-6.jpeg
Views: 87
Size:  125.9 KB
Name:  image1-3.jpeg
Views: 145
Size:  98.0 KB

Also bought an extra set of hardware and 2 extra u-joints just in case it happens again. Building up a collection of parts to keep in the Jeep while I'm on the trail.

Has anyone put together a list of necessary parts to keep in the XJ while on the trail?

Also dropped the XJ off with JD @ Off-Road Armor yesterday. He will be building me an exocage. Should be done in about a week. Can't wait to see what he fabs up!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 AM

Picked up some more toys for the Jeep today.
Name:  A328FFB3-F76E-4B18-A11D-64B37C218BAA.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  112.7 KB
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Still waiting on the Exocage to be finished. Hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow.

In the meantime, I am looking into axle's for the Jeep. My understanding is that my 98 should have D30 up front and either a D35 or a 8.25 in the back. Not sure which is in the back as the vehicle is not in my possession right now.

I would like to be able to run 33"-35" tires on my jeep and want to make eliminate any extra strain on the engine and tranny. This vehicle is not a daily driver (I drive it a couple times a week), but I would like to be able jump in it and drive across the world if I had to. Not a crazy rock crawler, but an expedition vehicle.

I have done some research and to be honest, most of the axle and gearing choices are a little much for me. I don't want to build or fabricate anything myself. I want to be able to know what I want and find a professional to built it for me. I do want the best option possible, but keep in mind I am on a "budget".

I am also looking at doing a diesel swap in the next year or so. Any suggestions on what axles they would recommend? Or a shop/professional in Denver that could do the build/install for me?