Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic 1994

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Basic 1994

Every 10 years or so, I need a reminder of why I don't buy other peoples unfinished projects.

I now own a 1994 Cherokee with a Rough Country 4.5" lift kit mostly installed. It has a few issues:

The lift kit included a drop of the transmission crossmember but the installation doesn't look much like the instructions.... I assume I need to cut this off and try and repair whatever is left of the studs and screws to support the crossmember.

I don't seem to have any vibration problems but I still wonder about the viability of the drivetrain. The slip connector is about 2 5/8" extended and the angle between the driveshaft and slipjoint/pinion is about 10 degrees. Is this likely to be reliable? Am I likely to drop the driveshaft at the next bump?

My emergency brake cables seem a little tight. Like they might engage the brakes if the suspension extended at all. Is this a common problem?

The bumpers were loose in the hatch. Does anybody recognize them? They aren't marked at all.
Attached Thumbnails Basic 1994-crossmember.jpg   Basic 1994-driveshaft.jpg   Basic 1994-bumpers.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

1st and 2nd pic= wow
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kennzz05
1st and 2nd pic= wow
From what I can tell, the 2nd photo should just reflect the standard Rough Country 4.5" replacement leaf spring lift.

I believe the replacement spring hangers were intended to retain the stock geometry. The shackles look stock. Not much to screw up on this end.

How do I measure the actual lift height?

The transfer case drop lacks a certain finesse but I think it yields the intended drop so as far as i can tell, what you see is what you are supposed to see.

I take it you are advocating for the optional cv style driveshaft?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Have the SYE kit in hand.

I have a service pit and a transmission jack so I was planning on pulling the transfer case out but after getting under, the bolts look a little hard to get at. On the other hand, the transfer case itself looks very accessible so I'm going to try it in place.

Pulled the transfer case drain plug and it is bleeding honey instead of blood. Not sure of the implications but maybe bad.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Pulled the transfer case apart and it is pristine inside so I assume no real harm was done.

It is hard to believe that it has 228K miles on it. Of course I know little about its history so maybe the transfer case was replaced at some point.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Those bumpers look like Ebay specials. I see them on there, some fab shop sells them. Not sure on the quality, but don't look too bad in the pictures.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Seasoned Member

"12: Slide the Mode Hub into position, and install the Retaining Ring."

This sounds so simple and maybe it is if you have the right tool to expand the retaining ring. I didn't and eventually ended up fabbing one just for this task. An extra set of hands might have helped.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kennzz05
1st and 2nd pic= wow
For a real wow, how about this brake line?

I wonder what was going through his mind when, during the test drive, I hit first speed bump in his apartment complex at about 15 mph. He had a replacement brake line in the back but it wasn't installed.
Attached Thumbnails Basic 1994-brakeline.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You are in dire need of....

An SYE and double cardon drive shaft to replace that t-case drop.
An extended brakeline for the rear axle (HOLY CRAP!!!!) I read that you have one...PLEASE install it ASAP!

And get that rear swaybar outta there.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
You are in dire need of....

An SYE and double cardon drive shaft to replace that t-case drop.
An extended brakeline for the rear axle (HOLY CRAP!!!!) I read that you have one...PLEASE install it ASAP!

And get that rear swaybar outta there.
It hasn't left my driveway since I got it home.

When I bought it, I was looking at it from the perspective of has it been bent?, is it structurally sound?, and how much are the included parts and pieces worth? I knew I was going to need to do some sorting.

It wasn't until later that I realized it wasn't safe to drive around the block....

Right now, the rear suspension doesn't really have much compliance at all. I'm hoping it will loosen up and settle some after I get some miles on it.

The SYE is in. Next step is to cut the crossmember loose, repair its mounting screws, and raise the transfer case back where it belongs. Then I can measure the driveshaft angle and buy my axle degree shims.

Brakes are up after that. I will put the new lines in as part of an overall inspection and overhaul.

Last edited by sreeb; 12-25-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

BRILLIANT!!

Hope it it works out for ya.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

When its driveable again you should go back to the PO who did this stuff and punch him in the face.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by sreeb
For a real wow, how about this brake line?

I wonder what was going through his mind when, during the test drive, I hit first speed bump in his apartment complex at about 15 mph. He had a replacement brake line in the back but it wasn't installed.
Brake lines sometimes double as suspension straps. That one seems to be doing just fine
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Year: 2000

I looked at those bumpers. The major issue with them is they have no frame tie ins. Pretty much useless if you plan on pulling on them. If you use them you should fab up some supports.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Xj88
When its driveable again you should go back to the PO who did this stuff and punch him in the face.
I really think he just didn't get it. And I didn't understand how little he understood.

Quick Reply: Basic 1994