Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Jeep Builds
From the Autopsy Garage; the case of Grand Spare-o-kee, a victim of OCOD >

From the Autopsy Garage; the case of Grand Spare-o-kee, a victim of OCOD

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

From the Autopsy Garage; the case of Grand Spare-o-kee, a victim of OCOD

Old 02-04-2018, 01:56 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default From the Autopsy Garage; the case of Grand Spare-o-kee, a victim of OCOD

Here's a tragic story of a ZJ that fell victim to the influence of OCOD...

Probably 6 years ago, my supervisor bought a white 1998 ZJ to replace his piece of **** Mountaineer. (Before I even bought my first XJ or a jeep for that matter).

Soon shortly afterwards (I would say maybe a year or two later?) I got my first jeep and immersed myself in this forum. Naturally I absorbed a lot of information, and one of them was about the dangers of OCOD.

What's that you may ask?

It's ORANGE CAN OF DEATH. Also known as Fram... ya know... from Fram Oil filters.

One day I nonchalantly asked my supervisor what kind of oil filter did he used. He said FRAM, of course!. I naturally scolded him and provided him with multiple evidentiary accounts of people suffering from OCOD.

Of course he was incredulous and didn't want to believe me. "Psh Fram? Nah I have used it for years on all of my vehicles without any trouble!" He sneered at me.

Last edited by XJwonders; 02-04-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Fast forward about a year ago...

He came up to me at work, asking me to recite the dangers of associating with OCOD. I explained to him why it's bad along with evidence. That's when he mentioned that the 4.0L was starting to make very light ticking and the oil pressure dropped from a healthy 40 PSI down to barely 5 PSI rapidly. He even verified with a mechanical gauge.

I told him to immediately switch to other filter and change the oil. I thought he did.... until....

Last week. He started to coming to work in a different vehicle. I asked him what happened to the jeep. He said that the motor was starting to make a lot of noises lately. So noisy that he couldn't stand it anymore and tried to investigate. He took the valve cover off, checked the valves, rocker arms, rods, etc. he couldn't figure out what's going on. He suspected the camshaft failed.

Then one day.... it blew. The rod broke in 4th cylinder. Leaving him stranded.

I offered him one of my spare motors. He was like. "Nah" and told me that the scrapyard offered him $300 for the jeep.

He told me he would rather the jeep to go to somebody capable because it had tons of new parts on it already. (New AC system, water pump, radiator, muffler & tailpipe, heater core, etc etc). So he asked me if I wanted his Jeep for $300. I told him I ll think about it.

The next day. He told me that the scrapyard called him and said the scrap metal prices went down and his Jeep is now worth $200. And then said I can have it for $200, instead.

Naturally I immediately said yes and gave him $200 cash.

I figured I had plenty of spare parts paying around the garage that I can use to bring the ZJ back to life. Get it? Spare-o-kee? Lol
Old 02-04-2018, 02:13 PM
HUH? WHAT?

So the goal of this build is to replace the motor and bring it back to life, and use it as a spare (there I go, using that word again) vehicle for the family. WITH ONLY using my spare parts... only stuff I would buy is gaskets, fluids, etc.

Don’t worry. This won’t be on the list to buy... LOL

Last edited by XJwonders; 02-04-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Yesterday I called insurance and added the ZJ on the plan, and requested for a towing coverage. When that was done, I immediately called Roadside Assistance and had it towed to my house... not bad for $10.

When I had it at my house, I opened the hood... well what do ya know, it still had the OCOD. Geez the mentality of some people who doesn't listen.....
Old 02-04-2018, 02:22 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Due to the grueling nature of the victim, this photo is the only one we are willing to release at the moment.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM
HUH? WHAT?

I had a spare engine that I pulled off the MJ up on the engine stand, and I had to take it off & put it on the floor. Couple years ago I acquired a free 4.0L out of a 97 XJ from a friend's part-out. I put that one up on the engine stand. I'm going to treat it like a junkyard engine because I have absolutely no idea if it runs. The friend told me he didn't know either and think it sounds terrible.

After upon inspection on the engine stand. I found that couple of intake/exhaust manifold bolts were missing and the rest were loose. The throttle body bolts were barely tightened. The spark plugs were dirty. The exhaust manifold had the crack at the collector.

It had a new water pump tho. But that has to come off.

So I took all the accessories off, the oil pan & valve cover off the engine. Looks pretty clean internally. Little sludge at bottom of oil pan. But nothing to worry about, I think.

I scrubbed the engine with hot soapy water with degreaser. Applied some elbow grease as well.

All the oily residue on the block is gone and dry.

Sprayed some engine primer on it. I'm thinking I'm gonna paint the whole block white.

Last edited by XJwonders; 02-04-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:03 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Slapped on a bit of white paint just now. It's gonna be white. Just like an embalmed body in the casket. Lmao.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

Love your creative title and post man! That's a pretty good looking Jeep!

But the engine color is just wrong...

Actually I thought I was the one who was politically incorrect about engine colors... I have been painting engines "the wrong color" all my life just to mess with people. Man, Chevy people get down right mean and hostile when they see a Ford blue engine in a Chevy... Lol
Old 02-04-2018, 04:41 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Lol what's wrong with white? Vampires usually are very pale when they come back from the dead.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by XJwonders View Post
Lol what's wrong with white? Vampires usually are very pale when they come back from the dead.
Not a thing as far as I'm concerned! I used to paint all my tools white so no one else could claim them. And I mean ALL of them, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, sockets, air tools, everything. lol

I didn't give a crap how pretty they were or not, and no one else wanted to steal them after I did it either. lol
Old 02-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

$200? Score! I used to work at the corporate office of one of the top two auto parts stores so I have heard all of the horror stories about oil filters. Just curious, what brand do you use?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:30 PM
Someone stole my badge!

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Clean ZJ! Too bad your boss is a tool that listens more to flash and flare marketing than people that know what they're talking about .
Old 02-05-2018, 12:39 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth
$200? Score! I used to work at the corporate office of one of the top two auto parts stores so I have heard all of the horror stories about oil filters. Just curious, what brand do you use?
I usually use Mopar 090 filters along with WIX 51515 filters.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

White on white. I like it!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:31 PM
HUH? WHAT?

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
White on white. I like it!
Good. Glad you do lol. I'm not quite sure myself but it's still happening. Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: From the Autopsy Garage; the case of Grand Spare-o-kee, a victim of OCOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: