Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

apocalypse jeep project

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default apocalypse jeep project

so i was thinking about building my xj into an apoalypse survival vehicle or just ultimate camping rig kinda like the earthroamer jeep wrangler

but do it instead with my xj. i was thiinking about back halfing it right behind the front doors and make it kinda like a truck then add on on of the mini truck pop up cab over campers http://www.fourwh.com/falcon.htm
permantly mount it make it weather tight and add a pass through between the cab and camper and wala you got an ultimate apocalypse vehicle with a 1/10th the cost of the earthroamer. BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sideshow_joe
so i was thinking about building my xj into an apoalypse survival vehicle or just ultimate camping rig kinda like the earthroamer jeep wrangler

but do it instead with my xj. i was thiinking about back halfing it right behind the front doors and make it kinda like a truck then add on on of the mini truck pop up cab over campers http://www.fourwh.com/falcon.htm
permantly mount it make it weather tight and add a pass through between the cab and camper and wala you got an ultimate apocalypse vehicle with a 1/10th the cost of the earthroamer. BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!!
That does sound like a really good Idea. I'm kicking myself now for not getting a 4dr Cherokee because chopping the back off one of those would be SWEET behind the front doors. I'm gonna have fun with my 2dr though :P
Old 11-26-2009, 05:04 PM

of course ill still do my 4 1/2 in lift with 33s but do it to jeepspeed specs were i can haul *** over rough terrain front and rear competition winches full skids and a snorkle for water crossing onboard air and welder hot water heater and maybe an urban camo paint scheme. 360 degree hid lighting and dual fuel conversion with lpg. solar panels to help charge batterys.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

You might wanna start chopping off body parts to pay for all that. Thing is gonna weigh as much as an elephant too
Old 11-26-2009, 05:14 PM

i figure that with all the choppin of body on the jeep ill lose about 300lbs the camper weighs 600lbs add the passenger load weight of 300lbs it will still ride about the same and with the camper being a pop up ill keep a low center of gravity should handle about the same but looking into a stroker motor to replace my engine that has 240,xxx miles on it so should have plenty of power. not adding anymore weight than you guys that have built rigs for wheelin.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:16 PM

as for the cost i plan on spending about 10k on it.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sideshow_joe
i figure that with all the choppin of body on the jeep ill lose about 300lbs the camper weighs 600lbs add the passenger load weight of 300lbs it will still ride about the same and with the camper being a pop up ill keep a low center of gravity should handle about the same but looking into a stroker motor to replace my engine that has 240,xxx miles on it so should have plenty of power. not adding anymore weight than you guys that have built rigs for wheelin.
Chopping the body is going to lose you alot less weight than you think. Not to mention you'll have to do a ton of bracing to make up for the lost support. Camper weighs 600. Then you throw in the water heater. welder and various other things that you'll be carrying. You should expect to be about 800 lbs heavier than stock. The stock engine could haul all that weight with no problem, just get the proper gearing. a stroker motor wouldn't hurt either. The thing you're gonna have to look out for is the suspension parts being able to hold all that weight
Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 PM

ive done similar to an old trooper i had (dont ask i was young and dumb) i cut off about 200lbs off it. and i plan to cut off more than i did on that on. rear hatch roof both pass rear doors 3/4 side body sheat metal and all rear glass and rearward upholstry use aluminum to create a cradle of sorts to support and strengthen the body. figuer 100 lbs and the jeep interior has a payload of about 400lbs with passengers and cargo combined thats about 600lbs of payload with factory specs making it awash now add a heavyduty lift and the payload capacity then increases over spec i think it will sit level and handle about normal. as for the welder and water heater those will both be engine driven units and the on board air will be basicly the upgraded arb unit. i really do think this will work and be pretty sweet.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:40 PM

realisticly it will be about 2-300 lbs heavier than stock not to bad thats about as overweight as some wheeling rigs
Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM

dana 44's at least front and rear should hold up well
Old 11-26-2009, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Realistically if you throw a decent set of bumpers on it with some really beefy tow points(which you WILL need if you ever get it stuck), plus frame stiffeners it'll be about 300+ pounds heavier than your average trail rig. Basically you're building a trail rig and then chopping the top, reinforcing and throwing a 600lb camper in the back of it. It'll work but its gonna take a huge amount of time and lots of $$$$$$.

I'd guess at it being 600 pounds or more over stock weight. You have to figure in that beefier axels, and suspension components add their own weight on top of the extra weight you're already carrying.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 liter h.o.

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
You might wanna start chopping off body parts to pay for all that. Thing is gonna weigh as much as an elephant too
i have already started. three days ago.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 AM

Year: 1998 1992 1991
Engine: All Inline 6 4.0

Originally Posted by 91xj
i have already started. three days ago.
I think you might have hurt your finger a little. What happen?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 liter h.o.

at work i had a solid steel bar smash it down into a piece of pipe sticking out of the concrete. the bar was extremely heavy, so it took it right off.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 AM

Year: 1990

....... wow was not expecting that one 0.0 I think this rig should be pretty sweet, but costly as stated before. I do have a question, what about water supply? If carried in or on the jeep that could add up too. 8 pounds per gallon i believe. Are you going to do a water purification system instead?

Quick Reply: apocalypse jeep project