Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 grand cherokee rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L
Talking 98 grand cherokee rebuild

So the ZJ I have is actually my fathers jeep. He picked it up few yrs back from a friend. Fairly awesome shape as far as body goes. Havent dug deep into the interior or wheel wells for cancer yet, but from what i can see its lookin good. Ever since he bought the jeep there has been a low howling sound from the front end. In his wisdom and elderly ways he neglected to have this looked at. he felt it was the ujoints that needed replacing and indeed these did need replacing. DONE, still the sound continued. Until Oct. '09. On my way back to town a bearing burned out in the front diff. I limped it back to the farm not to far away but it wasnt until I reach the gate the bearing completely piled up " PING SNAP BANG CLUNK CLUNKCLUNKCLUNK" yup. I can only assume this was the ominous sound always heard since buying the vehicle.
So here we are! This is one of my first times working on 4x4 or jeeps in general so this will be mostly a new experience all around! Total noob right here!!! Im pumped!! Not just the front end needs work but also grill and headlight replacing along with a side mirror on the driver side, this all happens after your father hits 2 deer and an owl, in the yrs of owning the vehicle. These ZJ's ar ea pretty sturdy damn unit!!
Im looking to throw a little more beef in the rear suspension for hauling some toys and trailers. Any Ideas concerns tips are much appreciated! for right now Im gonna keep it fairly stock.....for right now.
Im taking pics tomorrow and hopefully can get er in the garage and begin stripping it down.