Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 cherokee 4.0 oil filter adapter "mod"

Old 01-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 97 cherokee 4.0 oil filter adapter "mod"

I've got a 97 cherokee with a 4.0 and I assume it was previously owned by an idiot. The oil filter adapter has become one with the block. It has developed a leak and will not come loose. The #60 torx driven screw that is supposed to set it free is stripped out nice and round. (This is the evidence that it was owned by an idiot.) What I needd to know is if I take an angle grinder and cut a 1/4 inch off of the end that faces the frame rail will I be able to remove it? Please, I have posted this question in two non modified cherokee lists of threads and over 100 people have viewed them but I've gotten zero posts or messages. If this is considered a modification, maybe you guys can help me.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by Frank67
I've got a 97 cherokee with a 4.0 and I assume it was previously owned by an idiot. The oil filter adapter has become one with the block. It has developed a leak and will not come loose. The #60 torx driven screw that is supposed to set it free is stripped out nice and round. (This is the evidence that it was owned by an idiot.) What I needd to know is if I take an angle grinder and cut a 1/4 inch off of the end that faces the frame rail will I be able to remove it? Please, I have posted this question in two non modified cherokee lists of threads and over 100 people have viewed them but I've gotten zero posts or messages. If this is considered a modification, maybe you guys can help me.
The head is part of a very long bolt so no. If the head is stripped your best bet would be to try and get some large vice grips on it or perhaps a chisel and hammer.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Just to give you a visual, you can see that the bolt steps up so no, grinding off the head won't help a ton.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrawnyDog

Just to give you a visual, you can see that the bolt steps up so no, grinding off the head won't help a ton.
Couple really odd things come to my mind. You could cut a flat head like groove into one side of it to another and maybe just maybe you can get something in the groove to assist with turning it. That's unlikely I think though with the room to work with.

Another option maybe weld a nut onto the end of it and then use a socket to remove it that way. Unlikely as well with not be able to get in there with tight space.

That sucks and everyone should find a way to go with the style I have on my 89 still tough to break it free but no torx.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
Couple really odd things come to my mind. You could cut a flat head like groove into one side of it to another and maybe just maybe you can get something in the groove to assist with turning it. That's unlikely I think though with the room to work with.

Another option maybe weld a nut onto the end of it and then use a socket to remove it that way. Unlikely as well with not be able to get in there with tight space.

That sucks and everyone should find a way to go with the style I have on my 89 still tough to break it free but no torx.
I was thinking drill it too, but there's no room to get a drill and bit in there. Unless one of your options works, I would say just plan on destroying the whole adapter but cutting into it to get it off. Even then there would not be an easy way to get the rest of the bolt out.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

I can't remember if the head sticks out or not. But if it does I have a high quality 12" pipe wrench with sharp teeth for these situations. If you can set the jaws right, and get a bite on it, a good pipe wrench will usually break it free.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Thanks guys, did it my way, took a little more than 3/8 of an inch to do it. Never dealt with anything that frozen.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank67
Thanks guys, did it my way, took a little more than 3/8 of an inch to do it. Never dealt with anything that frozen.

What was your way?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
What was your way?
He cut the bolt head and the adapter off.