Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Cherokee close to open cooling conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 Cherokee close to open cooling conversion

I thought I would share today's project--converting my wife's 89 Cherokee to an open cooling system. It was a small project, but one I had been wanting to do. I just never liked the idea of a pressurized plastic tank.

It really doesn't look much different, but it is nice to not have that plastic football tank anymore.

Instead of getting a new radiator (the vehicle only has 57,400 miles), I used a Moroso 63745 inline radiator hose filler on the upper radiator hose. It works very well with the radiator hose size, and it look pretty neat. Also note the 2/0 battery cables--I made those too, and was pretty happy once I stopped making them the wrong length

I installed a Dorman 603-001 universtal fluid reservoir tank near the passenger side hood hinge, using a metal bracket that I made. I even took the time to paint it, which is pretty good for me. I didn't want this to look like a hack job, and I'm pretty excited about how it turned out--so much so that I am going to make a few more brackets and try to sell them on ebay as a kit for this conversion.