Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 cherokee build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6
Default 88 cherokee build

i bought this cherokee for 500 dollars with small problems here and there but they were easy fixes so i took care of them right off. the problems where electric the gauge lights didnt work .. cd player didnt work parking light on the left didnt work ..hood wouldnt stay latched on one side.. shift boot was ripped and junk ... just small problems like that but i took care of those right off. i am still in school i go to a vocational school in reynoldsville pennsylvania for auto mechanics plan on going to wyotech in blairsville pennsylvania after i graduate this school. i am only 16 and am limited on money but all the money i get is going into this jeep so this isnt gonna be a fast build its gonna take a while but i thought id put it in here and show you guys. i will update this fairly often but keep in mind im not gonna be going at to fast of a pace with this. my plans are to herculine under the carpet and stuff and eventually herculine the entire jeep. going to get a rough country 4.5 inch lift with full spring packs. going to run 33s under them with some kind of different fender flares. going to do more than that but theres just a rough idea.. heres what i got done so far..

here is some pictures of what it looked like when i first got it

theres the engine .. nothing impressive or anything.. needs some cleaning up.. i did put a chrome grille on it right when i got it though.. i like the way it looks with chrome

not bad for 500 dollars .. no dents or major rust or anything and it does run i drove it about 60 miles to get it home...
this is a stick 4.0 5 spd heres a pic of the stock interior

i took of the valve cover to paint it..

im going with a blue theme under the engine and i thought id clean it up to make it look good.. i put a cold air intake on it to let it breath a little better.. when i looked at the old air filter it was cover in pure oil and muck i was getting some crazy blow by so i didnt even put it back into the air system i put a small breather on it and havent had any problems since.. i put the vacuum line onto the cold air intake it wasnt too hard to install just took a little thinking it was the do it yourself kit from advance.. going to put a bigger "blue" cone on it i dont like the small one heres a pic

i started ripping the carpet out to herculine it but i put it on the back burner till i get money for the herculiner so its only half way ripped out for now heres some pics

.. next i made a fast temporary fix for the sway bar.. i did a little bit of flexin with it stock height and broke my link arms

so i did this for a temporary fix it consists of new sway bar link arms a trailer hitch bolt a couple pins and some washers .. not the best but it works for now

next i wanted to make it sound better it had a heck of a exhaust leak and stuff i fixed the exhaust leak and slapped a cherry bomb glasspack on her.. she sounds really nice now .. big difference

next i put a new rpm tach in ..it was easy it took about 5 minutes to do
Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Seems like your going to have a nice ride going soon. Best of luck!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 PM

Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Lookin good man! Love the red 2 door version.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

freaking lucky i want a 2 door 5 spd ha nice jeep
Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 2.5L I4 TBI

Lovin the cherry bomb. Good luck with the build. take care of that 2 door, 5 speed, or WE WILL COME AFTER YOU!!!! LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

looking good so far.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Yeah what they said lol. Im enrolled for Wyotech for this coming July. Its gonna be sweet! Good luck with your build man.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

ive done the herculiner interior its freaking awesome, ill post some pics when i get home, good luck with the build
Old 02-28-2009, 02:30 PM

started to trim my fender flares up today.. only did one wheel this was my first time doing it .. not finished im gonna hide some stuff and do something about the showing part where the fender flares cant cover up.. itll look good later... but for now heres all i got done

one: i took the fender flare off and cut up to where it used to stop at..

two: trimed the old fender flare and then bolted it up

i still got a little work left to cover up some crap and hide the stuff that sticks out but am done for today im not to energetic today

Old 02-28-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by projectmayhem
ive done the herculiner interior its freaking awesome, ill post some pics when i get home, good luck with the build

what all did you do to prep it?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

pulled all interior ofcourse, but it u run into any glue or build up take a scraper and knock it off. if u run into any rust get rid of it wire brush, sand paper, grinder, and make all surfaces are are scuffed or sanded, if any questions arise write back. if u want to connect me 423-923-1903
Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by projectmayhem
pulled all interior ofcourse, but it u run into any glue or build up take a scraper and knock it off. if u run into any rust get rid of it wire brush, sand paper, grinder, and make all surfaces are are scuffed or sanded, if any questions arise write back. if u want to connect me 423-923-1903

thanks i never ran into any glue.. i got everything ready except for this one area by the back wheel well theres a rust through spot that im gonna cut out and slap some sheet metal in there
Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

nice start. just trim the front of the fender off flush with the bottom of the head light trim like the 1997 plus years.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by parkerbabco
thanks i never ran into any glue.. i got everything ready except for this one area by the back wheel well theres a rust through spot that im gonna cut out and slap some sheet metal in there
make sure u do something with the underside of it otherwise youll have the same problem again
Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM

okay just like i said i was gonna do .. i did the other side today.. i took lots of pics this time to tell people who wana know how to do this how exactly i did it.. heres step one: take off your fender flares with a 10mm socket or wrench

step two: cut out the area inteded to cut ( i used a die grinder with a cut off wheel )

step three: cut the fender flare ( i used a saws all )

step four: drill new holes in the fender flare

step five: drill new holes in fender

step six: bolt everything back up

i still got some trimming to do but heres the results

i did run into one problem .. when i was taking the wheel off i snapped one of the wheel studs and it just spun and i couldnt pull it out and the lug nut was stuck on it so i took a cutoff wheel and cut the lugnut up .. now i need a new damn stud

Quick Reply: 88 cherokee build