Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 cherokee build

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 87 cherokee 2 door build

Hello all! Just signed up so figured i would make a build thread. Been looking at the forums for a while now so my jeep is no where near as nice as some of yalls but its mine

got this 87 jeep cherokee for 100.00 in awesome running condition!

only pics i have when it was red.
the clear was peeling off like crazy so i got some camo flat green and went to town.
Name:  photo15.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  79.2 KB
Name:  photo16.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  71.5 KB
Name:  photo11.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  91.0 KB
Name:  photo13.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  photo14.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  108.2 KB

the headliner in it was sagging really bad so i yanked it out and found some camo cloth to put up

found a speaker rack at the junk yard so i did that too

took the cheap fogs off my wrecked civic wagovan and put them on

got some 30's for free!

got em put on there

this is how it sits now. cant drive it to much cuz i have a really bad coolant leak coming out of a part i have no idea what it is posted a thread over in the tech sections so hopefully someone knows what it is. other then that the jeep is good! ive got some rhino liner to put on the bottom half of the body after i take the moulding off.

also in the process of building a roof basket for it. thanks for looking!

Last edited by Brennidon; 07-30-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

cool start man welcome to the forum, cant beat $100 for a running jeep!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 PM

yeah really lol ive had it for about a year now its still running good but i have the coolant leak and my starter recently died. but new starter and its good to go. but still confused about the piece thats leaking. heres a pic
Name:  coolant.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  69.2 KB

the dark red arrow is where the coolant is coming out of it. any ideas as to what it is or if something is supposed to go there?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM

well took the side mouldings off and put my first coat of bed liner on the side it was from a spray can and ive never messed with it before so i think its looking good..after i get a few more coats on it i think it will look pretty tough. going to do the front/rear bumpers, fender flares, bull bar, mirrors and the roof basket when i finish it.
Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  58.0 KB

also got a new starter put on. gonna order another heater control valve to fix the coolant leak after that its time to save up for a lift and finish my roof basket. hopefully next weekend ill be hitting the JY and grabbing a roof rack
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Looks good!

I have an 87 two door as well!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 PM

was thinking of doing camo on the jeep like my dads ranger but not sure if id like it or not.
Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  66.1 KB

what do yall think?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Looks good!

I have an 87 two door as well!
thanks! this is my first jeep so im new to them. im more into function then looks. even tho i dont know of any good places to wheel around here we do have some tough spots in the hunting club. at first i didnt want to do anything to it but then the mod bug bit me lol couldnt help myself
Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM

got the final coat on this side of the jeep.
Name:  photo-4.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  52.6 KB
some peeled off near the fender flare but no biggie as ill be doing them too just couldnt take on to much today since they are calling for rain for the next 2 days =/.

Edit: i really need to do the green again lol up close it looks horrible. although its been about a year since i did it so for a rattle can paint job it held up decent
Old 02-14-2012, 02:28 PM

put some angry eyes on the jeep

also finished up the bed liner..turned out pretty good. will snap a pic and post it up.

for a few weeks now whenever i go to start my jeep the clutch pedal is floppy so i have to fill up the fluid..i followed the line from the res and everything looks fine but ive noticed a puddle under the jeep where its leaking. when i got under and looked i saw where it was dripping off of the trans. any idea as to where the leak could be? or if this is common and a easy fix? hate not being able to drive the jeep. Its driveable but whenever i need to shift gears i need to pump the clutch and im afraid im going to mess something up if i keep driving it like that.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Name:  photo-5.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  138.8 KB

pic of the rhino liner done. still need to wash the blood of the fender from the deer we got in hunting season lol. also need to do the green over again but that will have to wait till it warms up. just finished my DIY EMT roof basket gonna throw some rhino liner on it and then get my rack mounted on the jeep so i can put the basket on
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM

well its been a while since ive done anything with my poor excuse of a build thread..since then ive fixed the coolant leak, had to drop the trans and put in a new slave cylinder got some new interior pieces. a few hundred miles away from hitting 200k on the clock. went to the junk yard this past weekend and got a new grill, light housings, center console and turn signal lights. ill post some pics up soon. but the new toy i have is this

2001 jeep cherokee sport. Its auto but its 4wd. needed something my wife could drive. has almost 191k on it.

painted the bumpers with bumper paint to freshen them up. also gave it a good clay bar and wax! it shines up good!

Last edited by Brennidon; 10-10-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

when i saw the last pic i was like "cool he put a late model front clip on it" then i looked back and saw the 4 doors lol. both jeeps look great
Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM

lol thanks man..being newly married and buying a house has made the progress slow on my jeep. plus the whole wife "thinks its a waste of money" thing never helps..so ive been letting her drive the silver jeep hoping she will like it and be like hey we need to do this to your green jeep lol
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM

well here are some pictures of old jethro

got a center console from the JY and made a shift boot for it since it came out of a auto. the boot is still unfinished but it works for now. also added my AUX cord from the radio in the E-break cup.

Name:  photo4-2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  115.6 KB
got a new front end from the JY also. Grill, headlight housings, turn signal lenses and side marker lenses.

Name:  photo-9.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  101.4 KB
got the idea of the lettering from a member on here a while back..i liked it so i borrowed it. id give him credit for it but i cannot remember his name atm. also got a door mirror from the JY since it didnt have one. Put on the roof rack i got too.

Name:  photo3-4.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  92.5 KB
had some old LED christmas lights that i cut up since i needed some LED's so i decided to add a light in my center console so i can see what i need at night. wired it up to the light that shines under the 4WD covering.

been throwing around the idea of adding LED lighting to my gauge cluster but wasnt sure how to go about doing it. then today when i was messing around in the man cave i found some old bulbs from a subaru cluster took one of the LED's from the chrsitmas lights and started messing around with it. the bulb from the light comes out and on the inside of the holder there are 2 prongs that make a circle so i put the LED in and it fits perfect! im hoping the jeep cluster lights are the same i soldered some resistors on the LED and put it to a 9V battery while it was in the bulb holder and it works like a charm deff gonna tear into the jeep cluster tonight and try it out
Name:  photo2-6.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  40.4 KB
Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM

well figures its not going to be as simple as the subaru gauge light. the jeep has bigger bulbs. I can still make it work so ill post up pictures soon on how it looks

Quick Reply: 87 cherokee build