Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 weeks with an XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 6 weeks with an XJ

Purchased my 98 Cherokee about 6 weeks ago, here is what it looked like the day i purchased it.

The thing needed a good cleaning and the paint on the wheels was coming off, so spent 2 days sprucing it up.

Jeep looks much better, but lets be honest, who wants keeps a jeep stock?
on to Craigslist and various forums to piece together a lift. Used leafs and coils by Rusty, new shocks from pro-comp, new brake lines from Rough Country. Used 15x8 black mountain wheels with 30x9.50s Uniroyal Liberator A/Ts. total money spent - $490 bucks. I didnt like the bright white shocks, so painted them and the coils a metallic grey.

Also went ahead and did some homemade sway bar disconnects, for now plan to get some proper ones down the line. All the plans i found online said to use 7/16ths clevis pins, but there was too much play with them, so used 1/2 inch clevis pins, which were a perfect fit.

Took it out today for a shake down run, jeep worked great, even pulled a full size Chevy out of the mud. The Liberator A/Ts did better than i expected, especially for a less aggressive AT.

Future plans include going up about 2 more inches, long arms, fender flares, roof rack, and custom bumpers, and bigger more aggressive tires, So all the things most of us want to do to our XJs.