Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Jeep Cherokee Daily driver/long term build

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2001 Jeep Cherokee Daily driver/long term build

Hey guys this is my first post here, but I just got my first car which is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport package. I bought it for 1100 with 220,000 miles and I have put 100 miles on it so far. There are a lot of leaks and rust (came from NYC and I am in SC). The jeep needs new brakes, battery, locks, and it has suspension issues as well as it needs new tires and the rims are really rusted. I ultimately want to list the jeep at least 3'' (I don't have money I already am into tournament paintball and I am really broke). As a first car in general I am going to try to do a lot of repairs and work on the car a lot myself because I want to respect what I drive and learn how it works. I currently know very little about Jeeps or any car for that matter. This is going to be a very long term build that I will probably end up working on for years to come. i was wondering if it needs tires suspension rims and brakes should I wait lift it and get tires now, or get it driving on the road better now (stock). I also have idling problems (jumps in rpm) and it leaks a lot of oil (this takes priority). I also received a windshield wiper motor today (hopefully will install it today) and I received cleaning supplies (dude had small dogs and its really bad). the jeep does have a rack and stereo which the passenger side only works. The Locks on the front two seats are frozen and the back two lock. power windows and power locks only work from driver side console and every time i pump gas it leaks. The AC blows, but does not work. So there is a lot to work on, but this should be really fun and I am just happy to have a jeep.

here are the pics of the jeep

my only addition so far.

Today I am going to get the windshield wiper motor in and work on the interior.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Start with the basics....Tune-up, fluids, etc.
Inspect EVERYTHING that you remove or drain, you can learn a lot about your rig that way.

Decide what kind of wheeling you plan on doing, research your options then build to suit the objective.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Start with the basics....Tune-up, fluids, etc.
Inspect EVERYTHING that you remove or drain, you can learn a lot about your rig that way.

Decide what kind of wheeling you plan on doing, research your options then build to suit the objective.
definitely will do. I am researching now and working on the car. I am about to drive up and get a new battery and then work on the interior. I took some more photos today of the jeep. Driving it around I love how the jeep accelerates and drives.
I will have more pics up later on for sure thank you for the help man.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Good luck man, love that color on the XJ's.

As you may be aware of, keep a good eye on your coolant level. Mysteriously losing coolant on the 00-01's is a sure sign of a cracked head. Those years have a weak head casting (0331) and this is very common.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:07 PM

Looks like it'll be great! Glad to see someone from where im from. (moved to VB, VA from Goose Creek a few years ago)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 PM

thanks guys and I will defiantly watch the coolant level now that is good to know. I am actually from New Orleans, but i moved after hurricane Katrina. I worked on the interior today and put some oil in and some coolant because there was virtually none in there. The gasket has an oil leak which I found out today. There is also an exhaust problem making the engine idle weird. The 4WD does work though (tested today) with my friends dad who is also the lead mechanic at our local Toyota dealership.