1999 XJ "Grandma Gold" - Page 4 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Jeep Builds
1999 XJ "Grandma Gold" >

1999 XJ "Grandma Gold"

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

1999 XJ "Grandma Gold"

Old 10-30-2017, 11:12 PM
  #46  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,382
Model: Cherokee
Default

Yea I understand, a good wax or paint buff compound would bring the shiny out. You probably had some old oxidized paint on there so it needed a revive! Either way looks nice and would be interested in doing that to mine once I get back. Mine is red though so I will probably just keep it that color to simplify matters I just don't really care for red much.
XJIrish4x4 is offline  
Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM
  #47  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

So the guy ended up cracking one flare taking them off so he offered to take $40 for them. They're actually pretty decent looking, maybe I can repair the crack, if not I'll have to look around for another passenger flare. For now im satisfied with them. Oh and I still haven't taken the plastidip off the wheels.

Last edited by CantDrive55; 02-08-2018 at 06:58 PM.
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 11-11-2017, 01:22 PM
  #48  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4 View Post
Yea I understand, a good wax or paint buff compound would bring the shiny out. You probably had some old oxidized paint on there so it needed a revive! Either way looks nice and would be interested in doing that to mine once I get back. Mine is red though so I will probably just keep it that color to simplify matters I just don't really care for red much.
The paint is in good shape, however there's a ton of chips in the paint and the clearcoat on the hood, fenders, and roof are starting to peel off. Plus I really like the rugged look of the Monstaliner. I'm all for shiny paint, but for a Jeep I feel it doesn't matter as much.

In other news, I ordered a water pump and gasket, new thermostat housing and gasket, coolant temp. sensor. Nothing else to update until I actually install everything. I'm holding off until I get all the parts I need then I want to knock it out in one day.
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 12-05-2017, 12:25 AM
  #49  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

There's going to be a group meet about an hour away from me on December 17th, so I am going to try and knock out the water pump before then, I really want to go... Guess it gives me motivation to get it done.
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
  #50  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

Made it to the meet on Sunday night, met a bunch of cool people. Hopefully in the summer time when it gets warmer we can host a few trips to Corolla, Flag Pole, so on.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 XJ "Grandma Gold"-25507810_1776198052413997_6924004874420933804_n.jpg  
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:04 PM
  #51  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

Jeep did great in the blizzard today, we got over a foot of snow! It's supposed to hit the negatives tomorrow. All the salt on the roads reminded me that I should probably remove my rocker covers and weld in some 2x4 tubing.

I also received some more decals for Christmas from my girlfriend, so I put those on. Ignore my sausage fingers.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 XJ "Grandma Gold"-zuywj0jnxdiephpedzzruqlhi5mmw8y7mmfjndrdoks.jpg  
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:36 PM
  #52  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

Since my daily driver couldn't handle deliveries in the foot of snow we got, the jeep was up on duty. A few days into the storm and my starter goes out... 125K on the OEM, not bad I suppose considering how caked in oil it was. Remanufactured Duralast unit was all I could get as it was 10:30 at night and the nearest parts store closing at 11 and it's all they had in stock, but it came with a lifetime warranty. $150 later and the jeep is back up and running.

Also picked up some new battery terminals and 4AWG battery cables. Pictures will be up soon enough.
Attached Images  
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
  #53  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pasquotank, NC
Posts: 1,595
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

My XJ got pressed into daily driver duties due to the storm also. I recently moved down to NC, so my drive into work is 45 miles one way. That was fun in the jeep. The thermostat stuck in the open position, so the engine runs at about 160. Don't get much heat with the engine running that cold. As drafty as the jeep is (weatherstripping shot), it made for a COLD ride. But it got me there.

Sorry to hear your starter **** on you. At least they are fairly easy to get to on the XJs.
bad_idea is online now  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:17 PM
  #54  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,382
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by bad_idea View Post
My XJ got pressed into daily driver duties due to the storm also. I recently moved down to NC, so my drive into work is 45 miles one way. That was fun in the jeep. The thermostat stuck in the open position, so the engine runs at about 160. Don't get much heat with the engine running that cold. As drafty as the jeep is (weatherstripping shot), it made for a COLD ride. But it got me there.

Sorry to hear your starter **** on you. At least they are fairly easy to get to on the XJs.
How did you determine thermostat was stuck open? Mine seems to run cooler than normal for heat too. That and I have drafty weatherstripping lol. That's what I get with a 89' makes for foggy moisture build up windows.
XJIrish4x4 is offline  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 PM
  #55  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

What part of NC bad_idea? I used to live in Elizabeth City. Yeah always something with the jeep.

Last edited by CantDrive55; 01-11-2018 at 07:49 PM.
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 PM
  #56  
Member
 
Kevin Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Yacolt, wa
Posts: 213
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Great build so far, it's come a long ways since the beginning. I'm just getting started on my build and hope someday I'll get to look back and see how differant mine looks. www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-500-money-pit-241222/
Kevin Miller is offline  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 AM
  #57  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pasquotank, NC
Posts: 1,595
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4 View Post
How did you determine thermostat was stuck open? Mine seems to run cooler than normal for heat too. That and I have drafty weatherstripping lol. That's what I get with a 89' makes for foggy moisture build up windows.
I'm making an assumption based on logic. Thermostat's function is to close off coolant flow to radiator until temp reaches 190 (IIRC). The thermostat is suppose to close if the coolant temp drops below the preset number. In cold weather the thermostat should be opening and closing regularly. The thermostat is the only piece in the coolant system with the ability to make the engine warmer. Everything else in the coolant system works together to cool the engine. Also, when I let the jeep sit for a while idling the engine temp went up. When the temp gauge hit 210, it cranked out plenty of heat. Got the jeep back onto the road, cruising at 60 or so, and the temp dropped steadily and so did the heat output.

If your 89 is fogging the windows, it's possible the heater core is leaking. Check the floor board on passenger side for wetness. Does the interior smell like coolant, even a hint?

I moved down to Pasquotank, just outside of Elizabeth City.
bad_idea is online now  
Old 01-14-2018, 04:51 PM
  #58  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default Big 3 upgrade

Originally Posted by bad_idea View Post
I moved down to Pasquotank, just outside of Elizabeth City.
Hope you like it down there, I miss the peace and quiet, just the country sometimes.

I finally had some time to work on the Jeep today, so I installed my new-to-me battery cables. I got them for $60 off a wrecked jeep who had them installed for less than a year. They're 4AWG and look to be of good quality. The terminals aren't bad, just scratched up and the paint is chipping, I might get new ones to make me a bit happier.

The kit came with:
Chassis to battery (-)
Block to battery (-)
Chassis to block (-)

Alternator to PDC (+) with an 150A inline fuse
Starter to battery (+)
PDC to battery (+)

Install went pretty smooth, very simple upgrade. I still need to re-loom, seal, and tuck away the cables so it's all nice and tight. I definitely notice an increase in voltage on my voltmeter already, and starting seems a bit faster, but that could just be me.







Last edited by CantDrive55; 01-14-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Sorry for the huge pictures.
CantDrive55 is offline  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 AM
  #59  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,382
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by CantDrive55 View Post
Hope you like it down there, I miss the peace and quiet, just the country sometimes.

I finally had some time to work on the Jeep today, so I installed my new-to-me battery cables. I got them for $60 off a wrecked jeep who had them installed for less than a year. They're 4AWG and look to be of good quality. The terminals aren't bad, just scratched up and the paint is chipping, I might get new ones to make me a bit happier.

The kit came with:
Chassis to battery (-)
Block to battery (-)
Chassis to block (-)

Alternator to PDC (+) with an 150A inline fuse
Starter to battery (+)
PDC to battery (+)

Install went pretty smooth, very simple upgrade. I still need to re-loom, seal, and tuck away the cables so it's all nice and tight. I definitely notice an increase in voltage on my voltmeter already, and starting seems a bit faster, but that could just be me.







Is replacing flat steel cable with a heavy duty 4gauge cable worth it? I have a few cables lying around was thinking of doing that when I noticed mine yesterday. Not to mention the oil residue build up near valve cover mount area of that flat cable could use some cleaning up.

Is your battery good? Looked older battery but just because it looks that way doesn't mean it is. I also recommend you spray both those terminals with some protecting coating. Forget the name but looks like your positive cable has it the red in color coating.
XJIrish4x4 is offline  
Old 01-15-2018, 12:06 PM
  #60  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 444
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4 View Post
Is replacing flat steel cable with a heavy duty 4gauge cable worth it? I have a few cables lying around was thinking of doing that when I noticed mine yesterday. Not to mention the oil residue build up near valve cover mount area of that flat cable could use some cleaning up.

Is your battery good? Looked older battery but just because it looks that way doesn't mean it is. I also recommend you spray both those terminals with some protecting coating. Forget the name but looks like your positive cable has it the red in color coating.
The battery is about 2 years old, it's just a cheap one from Walmart, but it's 800CCA/1000CA rated, nice battery it's just dirty. When this one goes out i'll buy a Optima battery, maybe. Some people will argue that the ground strap is better for suppressing RF noise, however mine was in poor shape and it came with the kit. I've noticed nothing different in radio noise or anything of that manner. As for the terminals, I am either going to refresh them or order a new set of military terminals, these are just what came with the cables and they're better than what I had.
CantDrive55 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: