Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

1998 Cherokee "Police Package"

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Police XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jersey
Posts: 54
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default 1998 Cherokee "Police Package"

I'm new to the forum and building jeeps. My father has a 1999 Cherokee that had a 3 inch lift w/ 31's. Recently it was brought back to stock.

A couple weeks ago my dad let me know at the dealership he works for they recently had a jeep traded in from a police department in upstate new york. I was not looking for another project since I have 2 others going on. I stopped by to checked it out and after the amazing deal I was offered I couldn't resist. I had no idea that the jeep even had a police package till I did some research and my a friend of mine told me about it. Your advise is always a pleasure if you see something I don't.

My goals with this jeep is to make it a nice daily cruiser but give it some boost in apearance.

The good:

- Everything mechanically runs and looks good
- Interior is very clean
- Electrically everything works and doesn't appear any issues.

The bad:

- Driverside floor pan is rotted (I have a new one on order and will be replaced next week
- Rocker panel rust under the rear driver side door. (getting fixed tomorrow)
- Vapor line for the fuel tank is very rusted and will need to be replaced at some point soon
- Oil leak at the Oil filter housing. Will be first checking if its the oil filter before I change the oil filter housing.
- Needs a new paint job ( White paint with black bumpers and black fenders)
- I'll also be using POR-15 on any other surface rust.






I6 4.0lt







Need 2 rear door panels





Oil Leak



Floor board rotted



Rotted Vapor line



Needs to be replaced



Rear view



Rocker Panel Rust



Front View
Police XJ is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
  #2  
Seasoned Member
 
Geck_87Laredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 360
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

So what comes with this "police package"?
Geck_87Laredo is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Police XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jersey
Posts: 54
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default

Originally Posted by Geck_87Laredo View Post
So what comes with this "police package"?
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Toys...Cherokees.html

Basically it comes with upgraded suspension components, transmission cooler, bigger brakes and an optional column shift. I have the entire options list at my house on this jeep. I'll make it a PDF file and post it. Oh yea and the rev limiter was taken out so it has a top speed of 120mph(which i plan on never testing)
Police XJ is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
  #4  
Caracticus Potts The Mod
 
Willys55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hainsville, NJ
Posts: 5,279
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by Police XJ View Post
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Toys...Cherokees.html

Basically it comes with upgraded suspension components, transmission cooler, bigger brakes and an optional column shift. I have the entire options list at my house on this jeep. I'll make it a PDF file and post it. Oh yea and the rev limiter was taken out so it has a top speed of 120mph(which i plan on never testing)
Let me test it for you!
Willys55 is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Iant333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Guilderland NY
Posts: 842
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Default

Thats funny, I live 5 minutes from East Greenbush. Small world.
Iant333 is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
  #6  
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 279
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default

im sending you a pm about this but i have rear door panels for both sides and they are in the exact color you need these are in great working condition and come with everything attached i will give you a good deal i just need them out of my garage. Also about that rotted vapor line could that trigger an evap leak large or small becasue i have an evap leak in my jeep and they cant find the actual leak its the same year as yours only mine is a classic. can you offer me any help?
xjwanted is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
  #7  
CF Veteran
 
ckysodkorn_xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oxford NC
Posts: 1,882
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

wow thats awsome!
ckysodkorn_xj is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
  #8  
CF Veteran
 
x91j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 5,390
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6
Default

what axles?
x91j is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Police XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jersey
Posts: 54
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default

Originally Posted by x91j View Post
what axles?
its a Dana 35 w/ 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by xjwanted View Post
im sending you a pm about this but i have rear door panels for both sides and they are in the exact color you need these are in great working condition and come with everything attached i will give you a good deal i just need them out of my garage. Also about that rotted vapor line could that trigger an evap leak large or small becasue i have an evap leak in my jeep and they cant find the actual leak its the same year as yours only mine is a classic. can you offer me any help?
Awesome thanks! I dont know about the evap leak. You could check your evaporator line and see if its rotted. I can have an answer for you by tomorrow though or unless someone can answer it now.
Police XJ is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Police XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jersey
Posts: 54
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default

Originally Posted by Iant333 View Post
Thats funny, I live 5 minutes from East Greenbush. Small world.
Thats cool. You know anyone who works there? I was gonna contact them and see if i could get some more info on the jeep because I'm surprised how its not beaten like most police cars.
Police XJ is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM
  #11  
Member
 
hotride3021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana PA
Posts: 244
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default

Your so luck finding police package ... but I'm guessing since its was just a cruiser or an off road s&r vehicle or something like that ... but what's the mileage/hours on the motor ... and did you tear into the motor yet?
hotride3021 is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Police XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jersey
Posts: 54
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default

Originally Posted by hotride3021 View Post
Your so luck finding police package ... but I'm guessing since its was just a cruiser or an off road s&r vehicle or something like that ... but what's the mileage/hours on the motor ... and did you tear into the motor yet?
the motor has 112k and runs strong. I'm not yet gonna tear into the motor or anything mechanical right now because its in working order. I'm working on the body right now trying to get rid of the rot and getting it painted.
Police XJ is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
  #13  
Seasoned Member
 
jarretthise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: crawfordsville, In
Posts: 342
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

are you going to leave it painted like that?
jarretthise is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM
  #14  
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 279
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default

alright hopefully you got my pm about the panels i will go to ups tommorow and get the box to ship them to you, and btw sweet jeep cant wait to see where you take it.
xjwanted is offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Police XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jersey
Posts: 54
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default

Originally Posted by jarretthise View Post
are you going to leave it painted like that?
Its going to be painted white. The bumpers and fenders will be painted black.

Originally Posted by xjwanted View Post
alright hopefully you got my pm about the panels i will go to ups tommorow and get the box to ship them to you, and btw sweet jeep cant wait to see where you take it.
Post office would be the cheapest way to to send them. Thats usually how I send parts.
Police XJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Cherokee "Police Package"


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: