Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Cherokee XJ Laredo 4x4

Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output 6 Cylinder
Default 1991 Cherokee XJ Laredo 4x4

This is my 1991 XJ Laredo 4x4, 4.0 High Output 6 Cylinder, I haven't had the money to do much to it and I've had it for 3 years. I think I overpaid but i paid $1400 for it. It has remote keyless entry and remote start which is cool but doesn't do much good in the area of making it trail ready....

I'm open to any free parts in the D/FW area of Texas, and any suggestions on what I could do to her on a very low budget.

Name:  DSCI0003.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  110.9 KB
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

welcome aboard!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Thanx!! This placed looked interesting and figured I could get some good advice on what to do with my beast here, so....here I am Ironically enough my family heritage has Cherokee indian in the family line, I'm 1/16th Cherokee indian myself...LOL can't grown anything more than a goatee as far as facial hair due to the indian in me... LOL.... so it figures that I would drive a CHEROKEE

Last edited by cleburnecherokee; 12-22-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Well, i guess here goes, things I would like to do to her :

1. A Buddy of mine is going to put about 4.5" of lift on his 92 XJ, and probably give me his 3" lift kit, so I would like to put that lift kit on mine, along with his 31" tires....

2. Cold Air Intake, although I'm debating on whether or not to do this or go with a snorkel intake system, I will probably go snorkel eventually anyways so....

3. Would like to rebuild the engine, when I can get another vehicle for a daily driver and tear into my XJ, been talking to my sister about buying her 95' Ranger 5 Speed to use as a Daily driver so I can mothball the XJ and do some serious work on her and still be able to work for a living LOL

-Andy

PS - any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm supporting a 6 yr old son who I just got custody of since his mother is a drug addict, so my funds are pretty tight.... living with a dope addict (meth) is no place for a 6 yr old, ya know?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cleburnecherokee
Well, i guess here goes, things I would like to do to her :

1. A Buddy of mine is going to put about 4.5" of lift on his 92 XJ, and probably give me his 3" lift kit, so I would like to put that lift kit on mine, along with his 31" tires....

2. Cold Air Intake, although I'm debating on whether or not to do this or go with a snorkel intake system, I will probably go snorkel eventually anyways so....

3. Would like to rebuild the engine, when I can get another vehicle for a daily driver and tear into my XJ, been talking to my sister about buying her 95' Ranger 5 Speed to use as a Daily driver so I can mothball the XJ and do some serious work on her and still be able to work for a living LOL

-Andy

PS - any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm supporting a 6 yr old son who I just got custody of since his mother is a drug addict, so my funds are pretty tight.... living with a dope addict (meth) is no place for a 6 yr old, ya know?
im running a 3'' lift and 31'' goodyear mtrs
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 AM

Hehe...cool... now i've got another buddy who drives a Kia Spectra, he's getting tired of his car payments, and is taking a pay cut at work, so I let him take my XJ for a spin, he LOVED it So i'm looking for another XJ for him to buy, hopefully in about the $1000 price range, he doesn't mind if it needs some work, he just needs one that runs good and he can take it from there as a project truck. It will be his daily driver... so if you know of one for sale in the North Central Texas area, drop me a line.....thx

-Andy
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Year: 2000

sweet. nice find.

you could do like i did with the wheels on an extra set i have. painted the inner and stripped/polished the lip

Name:  wheel2.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  101.9 KB
Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Default Additional, Up to date photos

Here are some shots of how my XJ sits as of today, Jan 1 2010

Still pretty much stock, but i do have plans for her

Name:  DSCI1355.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  211.2 KB

Don't mind the ladder, this is my daily driver for work, also....and taking the kiddo to school! LOL

Name:  DSCI1356.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  214.0 KB

New tires, a christmas gift from my dad... money's been tight since i got custody of my boy....LOL thanks dad!

Name:  DSCI1357.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  143.7 KB

Thought the tread pattern was interesting on these... they're 225x75xR15 Pathfinder All Terrains, sold by discount tire here locally.

Name:  DSCI1358.jpg
Views: 3117
Size:  245.1 KB

Name:  DSCI1359.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  251.3 KB

Name:  DSCI1360.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  DSCI1361.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  150.8 KB

A bit dirty, i know, but i believe i've heard that "It's a jeep, it's not happy unless it's dirty" on here LOL

Name:  DSCI1362.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  127.8 KB

GPS nav of course I'm a computer tech for a living, so i love gadgets

Name:  DSCI1363.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  74.5 KB

Aftermarket guage faces in daylight....

Name:  DSCI1364.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  111.0 KB

And of course, the honest photo..what can i say, it's my DD for work....LOL

-Andy
1991 XJ Laredo
Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Here are some shots of how my XJ sits as of today, Jan 1 2010
A bit dirty, i know, but i believe i've heard that "It's a jeep, it's not happy unless it's dirty" on here LOL
thats actually part of my signature. I dunno if I came up with it, but as far as I can remember I haven't heard it from anyone else on here.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 AM

The reason that sig caught my attention is because that has actually happened to me, so to speak.... The last critical thing I had to replace on this puppy was the starter, and it went out the same day I had taken my XJ to the local carwash where i had her thouroughly cleaned.... so you could say she was unhappy with me for cleaning her, so her starter went out to show her disapproval!

-Andy
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

The reason that sig caught my attention is because that has actually happened to me, so to speak.... The last critical thing I had to replace on this puppy was the starter, and it went out the same day I had taken my XJ to the local carwash where i had her thouroughly cleaned.... so you could say she was unhappy with me for cleaning her, so her starter went out to show her disapproval!

-Andy
Haha, that sounds like a Jeep. I had my stater die in front of an advanced auto. didn't have the money or tools to buy a new one at the time so I got it rolling and popped the clutch. <-THATS why I drive a 5spd
Old 11-05-2016, 12:47 AM

Default 1991 Cherokee

I bought a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 for $2,500. Before you all scold me, just know that the guy put a brand new AMC 6 cyl engine in two years ago. He drove it only 2000 miles before he became sick and it's been sitting for a year and a half. It also has a new radiator, water pump, transfer case, power steering pump, hoses and a mid frame unit body stiffener. The only thing is that there's a slight drip from the transmission case (a couple of drops). Looks like it's coming from the seal next to the oil pan. The trans works great when driving. Everything else on this vehicle is like new. Odometer reads 200,000 miles. My questions are: What do you think about the transmission fluid drip? Is the mid frame unit body stiffener enough to keep the body in tact? I want to hunt with this truck, not necessary do serious off-road. Should I raise and put larger tires, or can I just put larger tires that would suffice for hunting conditions?

Jeff
Old 11-05-2016, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by jwaynesay
I bought a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 for $2,500. Before you all scold me, just know that the guy put a brand new AMC 6 cyl engine in two years ago. He drove it only 2000 miles before he became sick and it's been sitting for a year and a half. It also has a new radiator, water pump, transfer case, power steering pump, hoses and a mid frame unit body stiffener. The only thing is that there's a slight drip from the transmission case (a couple of drops). Looks like it's coming from the seal next to the oil pan. The trans works great when driving. Everything else on this vehicle is like new. Odometer reads 200,000 miles. My questions are: What do you think about the transmission fluid drip? Is the mid frame unit body stiffener enough to keep the body in tact? I want to hunt with this truck, not necessary do serious off-road. Should I raise and put larger tires, or can I just put larger tires that would suffice for hunting conditions?

Jeff
Dude. I know your new here, but the rudest thing you could possibly do, imo, is hijack someone's build thread. Not cool. You obviously know about the differrent sections of the site, since you've posted this just about everywhere.just make your own thread.

To the OP, I apologize as well. I'll protect your thread for you haha. Maybe a mod can delete these 2 posts for you to keep your build, just yours.