Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Pioneer Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Default 1989 Pioneer Build

So here we go. I needed a car for college, and was looking for a truck, until I came across this post on facebook.

It had less miles and straighter panels than any of the trucks within my budget. I was able to talk him down to $1600.

First thing i did was wash her. She was fairly clean to begin with, but it made me feel better.

This is what I got!

The previous owner used her as a work vehicle, driving to and from construction sites. (I'm still vacuuming sand and gravel out of the cargo area ) there were rust spots everywhere, old screws and tools, and dust covering the dash.

My first mission was clean it up the best I could with the leftover cleaners I had from other vehicles. I don't have a lot of before pics, but here ya go:

just generally gross

when i test drove it the rear seat was full of his tools

this is in front of the rear seat

I had already started cleaning the cargo area

And this is where I'm at now:

The passenger seat is a lot better.

Still a bit dusty

The console was originally covered in spills

the rear seat looks alot better IMO

I took out the rear seat to clean, and never got around to fixing the back :/

Now I need some advice. My headlights work, but when i turn them on, the gauges and the shifter lights don't. Well... they're "technically" on, but only a faint glow from the filament when i took the console apart. Any suggestions on a fix? (I plan on upgrading to all LED lighting inside the cabin)

also, the rear lock got kicked in at some point. I can still operate the mechanism by reaching inside and physically pushing the plastic bit back, but I'd like to know if i need a whole new latch piece or just the lock cylinder.

Also, the paint seems to be chipping and revealing better paint underneath. I'm assuming the current paint was done later in its life and put directly over the Stock paint. Is there a way to remove the aftermarket paint without damaging the stock paint underneath?

My goal is a reliable daily driver that can take the occasional trip from Norman to Tulsa (roughly 120 miles). I know the straight six is a tough engine, but am I asking too much of a car this age?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:16 PM

Turns out the dash light issue was a problem with the switch. I "fixed" it with a little fiddling. I also replaced the stock lights in the dash with some cool white LED lights. A lot of people had recommended Super Bright LEDs, so naturally I got off-brand LED lights off of Ebay because I'm great at taking advice. But it was 20 lights for 6 bucks, free shipping, and a 60 day warranty.

This was taken around 6pm

Here it is in the dark. It looks like there's a dead spot on the battery indicator, but it looks better in person

Also I looked at the aftermarket radio 'wiring job' (if you can call it that) while I had the dash apart and the previous owner had cut basically everything up. I want something with an auxiliary input and the current headunit doesn't have that. And since a Walmart headunit is only 20 bucks I think I'll be replacing that as well.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

that flaking is the clear coat.. if you wanted you could sand the clear off an buff out the color.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 PM

I got tired of foam falling from the ceiling onto the dash, so I went to the fabric store and grabbed some flannel fabric that was on sale. If I was going to do it again, I wouldn't use something without a pattern that relies on the straightness of the lines. But I didn't want to replace it with a stock color, I wanted some personality. And in reality, you can't see the crooked lines unless you're looking for it. And you cant see it at all unless you're inside the vehicle.

What I took out

What i put in
Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM

Jeep is getting painted this weekend. I would've been fine with it in its current condition, but my dad's friend volunteered to do it. He's done good work before, but we'll see how it turns out.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7L Stroker

Originally Posted by NathanH
Jeep is getting painted this weekend. I would've been fine with it in its current condition, but my dad's friend volunteered to do it. He's done good work before, but we'll see how it turns out.
Cant wait to see how it turns out.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Nice jeep. I like the headliner.