Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Cherokee Cheif Slow Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1987 Cherokee Cheif Slow Build

Here is when I first got her. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f8/1987-cherokee-chief-2dr-202374/

Well she has come a long way and lots has been done but seems like every time I touch something I find something else to fix. I think I just enjoy torturing myself fixing this thing but I do enjoy working on it. There has been a lot of stuff I have done so far including injectors, balljoints, ujoints, just normal neglected maintenance.

I don't have a lot of pictures of the stuff I have done so far but going to try to take more of the stuff I do.

First thing I did was the swap from the crappy BA10 to a 1998 AX15. That was well... Fun! . If anyone wants more photos or has questions about this let me know. Used the driveshaft from the 98, speedo/reverse light from the 87, pilot bushing from a cj7 i trimmed it down abit to make it flush in the housing, clutch from 98 and flywheel from 87, master and slave from 98.. The master was a pain in the *** because the holes are not the same. Now my clutch pedal is about an inch and a half higher then the others and you can't get the damn rod back out of the master once its clipped in... Probably have to modify the pedal assembly.

Then.. The damn heatercore had a leak...so the entire dash had to come out.

Now it's time to replace the headliner, I've already got the whole interior apart anyway, putting a 1998 center console in it so tore the carpet and seats out, needed a pressure wash anyway! Will post more on the console when I start on it.

Also was fixing the cabling on the hatch I had a weird short where when I opened the hatch the lights don't come on and the heater light comes on, turns out one of the cables was completely broken

I got lots more to come but its a bit of a slow process! Will post pictures when I get the headliner finished up and 98 console all setup.

Last edited by monst3r; 07-26-2015 at 09:14 PM.