Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 comanche build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Comanche
Engine: 2.5l v6
Default 1986 comanche build

Ok guys, been on the site for years but have never taken the time to do a build thread. And since comanche club is giving me trouble lately, I will start a thread on here vs there.

I bought this truck a few years back after my first comanche took a massive dump on me heading home one day. Was driving home doing about 65 and the good ol' dana turdy-5 gears went out, casuing my drive shaft to shove up into my transfer case and destroy it. Ended up selling it to a cool guy named Ron for a wheeling rig build he was wanting to start.

With that being said here is a link to my "new" comanche that the p.o. had posted on cardomain.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390470...e-regular-cab/

From there I began doing small mods like bumpers and the roll cage and some other odds and ends.
Name:  ac33344e.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  7.0 KB

Bought these bumpers on ebay for $325 total... later sold them to my brother for his cherokee
Name:  9bdf6af8.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  106.2 KB

This is what she looked like around 2010
Name:  899c0bce.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  190.7 KB

Name:  6208afb7.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  192.8 KB

Painted the aluminum rims black once i got my goodyear wranglers on the truck.
Name:  25c1b7ca.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  274.1 KB

Forgot to mention the first week i had the truck the 35 in this one went out too. I combined good parts between the 2 bad axles to have a functional one for the time being but when I called to get it towed, the tow truck driver pulled a classic tommy boy moment and backed the truck up with the drivers door open, hit a garbage can and bent the door around...Needless to say i was heated (having all this happen in less than a week) but 2 weeks later their insurance paid me $1200 for the damage and i pocketed the money and fixed the door. You can see the door and fender bent here:
Name:  0dddf880.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  204.7 KB

My new favorite sticker addition to my manche haha:
Name:  250d09b4.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  338.3 KB

Here is a crappy photochop idea I have thrown around a few times in my head just to mix up the front end a bit. Still haven't got the nerve to pull it off; what do you guys think?
Name:  b7a26d20.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  54.8 KB

About the end of October 2010 I was leaving school and was going through an intersection when a teenage girl in a chevy astro ran a red "turn left" light and t-boned me right at the drivers side cab/bed. I don't think I've ever been so mad in my life at someone but looking back now I should really thank the girl because I ended up getting $5500 for my truck and a month's worth of car rental fees reimbursed to me. I got $4700 for my truck based on NADA classic car values (neighbor is an insurance adjuster and helped me milk them to the last drop!).

While my truck was out of comission, I bought this 1998 cherokee classic off craigslist for $2600. 3inch skyjacker lift and that's about it. Later sold it to my brother once I got my truck going again and here it is with my old bumpers on it.
Name:  03ff8e95.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  455.8 KB

Once spring hit i got goin on the body work/repairs to the damage and called it close enough at this point.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/...2/546ccbb3.jpg

Never got the pics of the damage off my old phone but the sheet metal was smashed in pretty good; used 2x4's, a steel pipe, sheet metal off an old lawn mower and some bondo to pop/fix the dents.
Name:  546ccbb3.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  325.2 KB

Name:  79782721.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  333.7 KB

This is what the rear fender looked like before the sheet metal patch and flare over it. P.O. used a combo of steel wool, bondo and insulating spray foam to fix rust above wheel wells so it was a pain in the ***** to fix.
Name:  2012-05-19164048_zpsddd91e54.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  113.0 KB

That's all for today; I've got plenty more to post so stay tuned
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Ok back at this thread.... Been a little while but after I fixed the damage to the drivers side I let my brother borrow it to take my dad's jon boat down to the lake. I get a call about two hours later from my brother with some great news; the second D35 i put in it a few months back just went out. He had it towed home and this is what it looked like when I pulled the dif cover:
Name:  e313563f.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  380.7 KB
Name:  3262f29d.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  359.8 KB

At this point I got ahold of my dad's buddy that owns a junk yard near where I lived in good ol' Ligonier Indiana and scored this baby for $120! Going to do the spring over axle lift on this baby!

Name:  1c7a39b2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  480.6 KB
Name:  6a34b48e.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  523.7 KB

Ford 8.8 lsd with 4.10 gears. Put new rotors and pads on it as well as the new rear lines. Also got the mounting brackets,spicer u-joint and u-joint bracket from Iron Rock Offroad for a reasonable price. Here's my truck sitting without its back legs haha.
Name:  e0a2932e.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  305.0 KB

While I was underneath my jeep taking care of the rear axle swap, I looked up and noticed the carnage Indiana winters had taken on the underbody:
Name:  77df4cd0.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  417.3 KB

Name:  a4a0b1b1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  329.0 KB

Name:  937e5ffb.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  288.8 KB

Well with the axle already out of the truck I decided to just tackle that rust and pull off the bed. Didn't take a ton of step by step pics because it's nothing you guys haven't seen before but here is a pic of the frame after I got the bed off.
Name:  1bc016ff.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  473.8 KB

Pulled the bed and had it resting on some old saw horses... Yard starting to look like a jeep junkyard between my build and getting started on my dad's jeep.
Name:  be37ed3d.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  418.0 KB

Here is my dads jeep. Painted it for him for fathers day, fixed a **** ton of rust also and gave him my old tires & rims that came on the comanche when i got my new tires. Also threw on a fat bob's garage 2inch spacer & shackle lift.
Name:  22f8db8c.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  425.5 KB

Bought a 3M rust remover grind wheel and that worked for like 5mintes so my neighbor let me borrow a angle grinder with a heavy duty wire brush wheel he uses for work to strip paint off propane tanks. This pic is after like 20 seconds of using it.
Name:  1dba5243.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  346.8 KB

That wire brush wheel made quick use of the rust! After I got all the rust off the frame, I used rustoleum clear rust inhibitor product, then painted over it with rustoleum rust reformer paint. This is how it turned out. Pretty good I think...
Name:  1305981d.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  414.2 KB

Here's an unerbody shot of the final result... with my sexy 04 mustang gt in the back ground

Name:  a745fb10.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  244.5 KB

And how it looks on top:
Name:  eadf929e.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  408.6 KB

Searched for a while to find a reasonable price on a lift kit since I am doing the SOA on the rear. Found a brand new 4.5inch rough country lift kit on craigslist. Bought it from an Australian guy that worked the railroad for CSX for $300. Can't remember his name but he was from Columbia City; cool guy with a pretty sweet cherokee... Thanks!
Name:  20120915_102547_zps5b86fdd1.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  230.8 KB

Didn't need the AAL leafs so gave em to my dad along with my old comanche springs.. Looks pretty beefy, but i'll have to get pics off his thread for you. Also gave the rear shackles to my brother since his rear was saggin pretty bad. Seems like anytime I get new stuff for my jeep, my dad and bro get the hand me downs/new parts too!

Anyways, heres a pic with the lift and rear axle installed. Put longer brake line hoses on the front to help with lift. Kept the 2inch spacer and AAL on it that the previous owner had on it when i bought it; here's how it looks with my now puny 31" tires haha.
Name:  20120920_192643_zps6d399648.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  90.0 KB
Name:  20120920_192658_zps0f8b8b4e.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  105.6 KB

Starting to look pretty mean I think! LAter after getting the bed on my brother's cherokee got a flat so went to my dad's buddies junkyard for a new tire and found a rolled 98 cherokee with some goodies on it. I scored some clear side markers and fog lights along with some black 16" moab rims. Also bought the header panel to throw on my truck.

Here it is painted, then installed with the new rims on too!
Name:  20121001_135626_zps179f5f0e.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  235.4 KB

Name:  comanche_zps26b4cf7d.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  225.5 KB

And this is how she sits today guys... I have been on the lookout for either some 33's or 35's but they're impossible to find for a 16" rim unless I want to spend about $1000 for tires.

Also I have been on the fence about doing a digital camo wrap. I can get a 72"x48" sheet off ebay for about $120. There's about 15 different colors but I am considering either orange, red, desert, or purple digital camo. Here are the samples of what they look like. Need your guys' opinion on which color to go with.

Name:  redcamo_zpsb07002fc.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  78.3 KB
Name:  purplecamo_zpsffcea01b.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  108.4 KB
Name:  orangecamo_zpsf0ff7d28.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  114.8 KB
Name:  desertcamo_zps6db2d1d1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  61.6 KB

Looking forward to your input on the next step in this build. Will be doing tires, camo and bumpers very soon!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM

DO you guys have access to reply on my thread? Still a newbie to the site so I'm unsure if access is limited because I have a ton of views but no replies...
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Most people are lurkers, myself included. Your thread will get some lovin' in due time.

The digital wrap is a good idea, but please take purple out of the discussion. I would go with red, but that's because red, gray, and black go so well together in my opinion.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Year: 1991

i like the last digi best
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 PM

Right on man, just checking whether it was a setting issue or something. As for the purple I agree, just threw it out for a wildcard. Actually am between the red, orange or going with a real camo like realtree ap or mossy oak.

Or even realtree ap blaze. Just kinda want something that stands out from the crowd

Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Sweet Project! I am more of a lurker now aswell. Just don't have time to post much anymore. but I definately like the desert digi camo. The truck is looking great though. Still wish I could find a nice comanche around here.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: straight 6

Originally Posted by Indiana coMANche
Ok back at this thread.... Been a little while but after I fixed the damage to the drivers side I let my brother borrow it to take my dad's jon boat down to the lake. I get a call about two hours later from my brother with some great news; the second D35 i put in it a few months back just went out. He had it towed home and this is what it looked like when I pulled the dif cover:

At this point I got ahold of my dad's buddy that owns a junk yard near where I lived in good ol' Ligonier Indiana and scored this baby for $120! Going to do the spring over axle lift on this baby!

Ford 8.8 lsd with 4.10 gears. Put new rotors and pads on it as well as the new rear lines. Also got the mounting brackets,spicer u-joint and u-joint bracket from Iron Rock Offroad for a reasonable price. Here's my truck sitting without its back legs haha.

While I was underneath my jeep taking care of the rear axle swap, I looked up and noticed the carnage Indiana winters had taken on the underbody:

Well with the axle already out of the truck I decided to just tackle that rust and pull off the bed. Didn't take a ton of step by step pics because it's nothing you guys haven't seen before but here is a pic of the frame after I got the bed off.

Pulled the bed and had it resting on some old saw horses... Yard starting to look like a jeep junkyard between my build and getting started on my dad's jeep.

Here is my dads jeep. Painted it for him for fathers day, fixed a **** ton of rust also and gave him my old tires & rims that came on the comanche when i got my new tires. Also threw on a fat bob's garage 2inch spacer & shackle lift.

Bought a 3M rust remover grind wheel and that worked for like 5mintes so my neighbor let me borrow a angle grinder with a heavy duty wire brush wheel he uses for work to strip paint off propane tanks. This pic is after like 20 seconds of using it.

That wire brush wheel made quick use of the rust! After I got all the rust off the frame, I used rustoleum clear rust inhibitor product, then painted over it with rustoleum rust reformer paint. This is how it turned out. Pretty good I think...

Here's an unerbody shot of the final result... with my sexy 04 mustang gt in the back ground

And how it looks on top:

Searched for a while to find a reasonable price on a lift kit since I am doing the SOA on the rear. Found a brand new 4.5inch rough country lift kit on craigslist. Bought it from an Australian guy that worked the railroad for CSX for $300. Can't remember his name but he was from Columbia City; cool guy with a pretty sweet cherokee... Thanks!

Didn't need the AAL leafs so gave em to my dad along with my old comanche springs.. Looks pretty beefy, but i'll have to get pics off his thread for you. Also gave the rear shackles to my brother since his rear was saggin pretty bad. Seems like anytime I get new stuff for my jeep, my dad and bro get the hand me downs/new parts too!

Anyways, heres a pic with the lift and rear axle installed. Put longer brake line hoses on the front to help with lift. Kept the 2inch spacer and AAL on it that the previous owner had on it when i bought it; here's how it looks with my now puny 31" tires haha.

Starting to look pretty mean I think! LAter after getting the bed on my brother's cherokee got a flat so went to my dad's buddies junkyard for a new tire and found a rolled 98 cherokee with some goodies on it. I scored some clear side markers and fog lights along with some black 16" moab rims. Also bought the header panel to throw on my truck.

Here it is painted, then installed with the new rims on too!

And this is how she sits today guys... I have been on the lookout for either some 33's or 35's but they're impossible to find for a 16" rim unless I want to spend about $1000 for tires.

Also I have been on the fence about doing a digital camo wrap. I can get a 72"x48" sheet off ebay for about $120. There's about 15 different colors but I am considering either orange, red, desert, or purple digital camo. Here are the samples of what they look like. Need your guys' opinion on which color to go with.

Looking forward to your input on the next step in this build. Will be doing tires, camo and bumpers very soon!
red and black digital no doubt about it