Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 2Dr Diesel - I finally took delivery, what direction to go now??

Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1986 2Dr Diesel - I finally took delivery, what direction to go now??

My first choice for the Ultimate Build would be to install a 3.3BT CUMMINS!!!.....but It may be "to rich for my blood!" as they have only been out for about 6 years, but I have heard AWESOME reliability
and MPG stories about them.. So,,, I have updated this post in the build, and this pic is of the "AFTER" it became driveable,, (after all are they ever really DONE?)

Found it in Idaho on CL, had to have it, Factory Diesel, 2.1 Renault!

Shipped it home to San Diego, day one in the driveway

I am considering the following combination. a 2004-2007 2.4 Honda Accord 4CYL, with a AW4 Auto 4wd, as a drivetrain for my 1986 Cherokee. Currently my 2DR - XJ has a 2.1 Renault diesel and a 4WD, 5 SPD manual (A5). It currently runs "OK" for a 2.1 Renault!! LOL ,,,oh and it has a 4 inch lift with truetrac locker up front and a 8.25 Chrysler in the rear.

There is such a knowledge base out here, I just want to brainstorm my idea before I start. I am open to all constructive ideas. I am seriously considering this combination.

With this 1986 2.1 Renault diesel 4wd....conversion,,,,
I am looking for 20-25 MPG, a good Daily driver that is smog exempt in California. A little more power than what the Renault offers, and a lot more dependability and parts availability. i will use the vehicle for a small amount of off roading, probably 10% off road and 90% DDing. When it is used off road it will not be extreme, i would estimate I am looking to use it around 70% of its capability.

The California angle probably needs an explanation to many of you so here is that information.

I HATE the smog laws here in Ca.
Every two years they "tax" us, about 50 bucks, to make sure our vehicles are compliant. You have to go to a smog station and get your vehicle checked/ sniffed/ and visually violated to ensure you are in compliance.

There is a great loophole around the smog laws,,.

If a vehicle came with a factory equipped diesel, and it is older than 1996 it falls into the "exempt" category. You just send in your renewal fees each year. So owning a factory 1986 diesel powered Jeep is a great set up in my opinion. I can put any motor in my vehicle and never have it checked by big brother.

I am considering all engine swap and tranny combination ideas. I have done a good deal of reading the various forums for months.

I was leaning toward the MB617 diesel idea, but,

I have already used a Honda package in a off road buggy/sandrail that I built a few years back and I was very happy with the motor package.

The 2.4 Honda makes about 185 HP and 190 Torque, it was very good with throttle response and had a wide power band. So I really liked that engine for many reasons. In a stock Honda with much less drag friction of course the engine vehicle combo got 35 MPG. I am expecting 20 or so MPG when installed in a lifted XJ, with 32-33's.

I have not been able to locate anyone that has adapted a Honda to an AW4.

I have a connection to build a motor/trans adapter, does not seem to costly either.

I have several vehicle builds under my belt and I am not opposed to a massive amount of fabrication and work.

Like I said I am open to ideas, and I figure I am going to get a fair amount of grief/feedback on this idea.

Lets hear it!!

Last edited by GRAYMAN SPOTTER; 10-05-2021 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling add pics
Old 01-26-2015, 02:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Massive project indeed. Good luck to you brother.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i would think that the weight difference between the civic/accord (and a sand buggy) and a lifted and locked cherokee with aftermarket tires and accessories, will probably end up eating more of the perceived difference in mileage and power that you hope to accomplish. i wont argue about the factory diesel motor, as it wasn't and isnt a "powerhouse" but I think there are much better options then a Honda 4cyl. It would be different thats for sure, but for myself I don't see a net gain to your idea. At best I think you'd be breaking even and thats a stretch. Just because it can, doesn't mean it should.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the well wishes, I am not totally hooked on the idea, I am looking for you guys here on the forum here to keep me "realistic",, relatively realistic anyway --in my expectations.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by lafd04
i would think that the weight difference between the civic/accord (and a sand buggy) and a lifted and locked cherokee with aftermarket tires and accessories, will probably end up eating more of the perceived difference in mileage and power that you hope to accomplish. i wont argue about the factory diesel motor, as it wasn't and isnt a "powerhouse" but I think there are much better options then a Honda 4cyl. It would be different thats for sure, but for myself I don't see a net gain to your idea. At best I think you'd be breaking even and thats a stretch. Just because it can, doesn't mean it should.

Thanks,,,., again I like the debate. I agree the gas mileage will be the big unknown.

What other options would be better in your opinion. I am not a guy that is stuck on labels FORD/CHEVY/HONDA etc.

Again I really like the MB 617 Diesel idea, and in the fuel mileage area, If I remember right from when I read the thread, I believe it hovers around 18-19MPG

If you look at the numbers and compare the Honda to the Renault you have the following:

2004 2.4 Honda 4CYL w/ 185 hp 190 TQ.
Runs on regular, parts availability good, replacement parts costs reasonable, reliability legendary.

1986 Renault 4CYL w/74 HP 139 TQ
Runs on Diesel, parts availability terrible, replacement parts costs-high, reliability ????? (I have not heard enough war stories to have a strong opinion on the reliability of the 2.1).
Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 AM

BTW, I am building -turning wrenches- soon on this project. The Renault is old and to slow for me. BUT,, can an administrator let me know if this thread should go in another location until I start the build? I was not sure on where to start this.

EVERY project/build is first built in our mind and then it is just a matter of assembly right?,,,, so that is why I decided to start here.

Thanks much, although I have not posted much here before, I have been watching and learning for years, thank you all for the great entertainment and knowledge!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Id stay diesel. No need to change or clean fuel lines or tank prewired for the diesel, or somewhat i think. I dont know about the 617 but the 4bt seems to be a popular choice. Enough of them around.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by lafd04
Id stay diesel. No need to change or clean fuel lines or tank prewired for the diesel, or somewhat i think. I dont know about the 617 but the 4bt seems to be a popular choice. Enough of them around.

Yes, the 4bt seems like a popular choice, I have not seen one in person, or heard one in person. That would be something I need to see and hear.. If anyone knows of a Cherokee owner in the So-Cal area that I could meet up with that has done that,,,that would be great.

The weight and the noise is a common issue that is talked about with that 4bt swap.

As far as the rewire and the cleaning out of lines,,,,I have no problem with lots of work, I am not trying to do the easy thing, just the right thing for what I am looking for long term.

To give you an idea of my level of self punishment, the Cherokee that I have does not have air conditioning and I will be adding A/C to it, I have a belief that adding A/C will be a head banger, but ,,,Whatever it takes to get that done and resemble a factory install is the goal. Wiring harness swap out ,,making brackets for the A/C compressor, etc etc,,
Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRAYMAN SPOTTER

Yes, the 4bt seems like a popular choice, I have not seen one in person, or heard one in person. That would be something I need to see and hear.. If anyone knows of a Cherokee owner in the So-Cal area that I could meet up with that has done that,,,that would be great.

The weight and the noise is a common issue that is talked about with that 4bt swap.

As far as the rewire and the cleaning out of lines,,,,I have no problem with lots of work, I am not trying to do the easy thing, just the right thing for what I am looking for long term.

To give you an idea of my level of self punishment, the Cherokee that I have does not have air conditioning and I will be adding A/C to it, I have a belief that adding A/C will be a head banger, but ,,,Whatever it takes to get that done and resemble a factory install is the goal. Wiring harness swap out ,,making brackets for the A/C compressor, etc etc,,
I have never seen ok one in person either however there are a few on youtube I know thats not exactly the same. I have seen a dodge 1/2 ton 4bt swap. The engine was pulled from a Frito lay truck.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:30 AM

Default ECOTEC ??

Well while brainstorming with a former crew chief for the McMillan off road race team....

The idea of ECOTEC power for the Jeep Cherokee build, seems to be a very good option.

Taking a serious look at that option now.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:27 PM

Tons of research in the last few days.

The gas engine options did not work out.

I have decided on buying a B3.3T Cummins Diesel to replace the 2.1 Renault Diesel.

Trans will be a NSG370 6SPD.

The plan is to purchase it from Mike at Autowerx.

Anyone care to chime in on why the B3.3T Cummins Diesel does not seem to be as popular of an idea when compared to the 4BT (3.9) Cummins?

3.3 is so much lighter and the mileage seems to be "to good to be true" at 30+ MPG

Last edited by GRAYMAN SPOTTER; 01-29-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 AM

Registered the Jeep today in CA. EASY!, NO SMOG, AND NO SMOG CHECKS, EVER!!,

Conversation went like this, "Oh its a Diesel? Ok, you are smog exempt", that is music to my ears (I HATE SMOG/TAX/INSPECTION LAWS).

Plates, stickers, out the door in twenty minutes,,,yes,,,,

Last edited by GRAYMAN SPOTTER; 02-05-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Sell the 2.1 engine and trans to me. They are not worth much.
Or just the injection pump and turbo and manifolds.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
Sell the 2.1 engine and trans to me. They are not worth much.
Or just the injection pump and turbo and manifolds.

OK check CL San Diego
Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Did I just read you're going to turn that rare gem into a Honda bastard baby?

A 5 speed diesel xj into an automatic lawn mower?

I don't really care how crappy the renaults are, but I would be very disappointed to see that get changed. That is a rare piece of history and needs to be put into the hands who respects what they have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 2Dr Diesel - I finally took delivery, what direction to go now??