Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 tons with 40's making it my own

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 soon to be ls1
Default 1 tons with 40's making it my own

I got this jeep from pirate 4x4 about 4 months ago and have been working on it since i purchased it. I was happy with the jeep but there were many things that have since been done to make it my own. here is what i started with1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-034.jpg

I started by hitting the local pull a part for all of the missing interior trim, i was able to find everything i needed. I then turned my attention to the rear inner fenders which looked like lava rocks the po used spary foam to seal the fenders where they were stretched. 1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-036.jpg1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-037.jpgI spend some time digging the foam out and started by cutting all of the welds loose and re-shaping the inner fenders by making relief cuts and rounding the edges for more of a factory look instead of the square edges. I then fully welded them back in instead of just tacking them, i used seam sealer over the welds to ensure a water tight seal then started preping the interior for the spray in bed liner.
1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-040.jpg
1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-041.jpg
I worked at a store which sprays liners so i had them spray the interior for me the best part about it was i did the prepp work and taped everything up and only had to pay for the materials which was 140 bucks. I ended up getting some leather seats out of a grand cherokee in almost perfect condition front and rears for 48 bucks at pull a part what a deal! I was able to bolt the front seat to the factory tracks where as the back seats needed some trimming around the wheel tubs to fit properly

Last edited by cobra523601; 11-18-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added more pics
Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

you're the one that got that rig?? you lucky SOB
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I do beleive that is this Jeep....

Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 AM

here are a couple pics with the seats installed
1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-044.jpg

1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-045.jpg
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 AM

After the second wheeling trip all of the axle seals started leaking not sure why since the po said everything was replaced so i ordered new inner seals for the front and outers for the rear when i tore apart the front i noticed where the seals ride on the axle shaft the shaft was scarred up so i figured it was time for an upgrade. I ordered the yukon sno fighter 35 spline inner and outer crome-moly shafts with yukon super joints along with some new 35 spline yukon locking hubs
1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-019.jpg

1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-048.jpg

sorry no install pics figured there was no need
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 AM

yes that is the same one

Originally Posted by 1tonxj
I do beleive that is this Jeep....

Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

Yukon 4340 front 60 shafts ...you will need to either notch the knuckles or hit the ears of the axle shafts with flap disc to fit into the knuckle B/C they don't fit the way they come from yukon as they are cast a bit big ...which is no big deal if you know that first...lol

also my front seals leaked when I got my XJ , and the seals were getting ate up...the reason was the housing on the front 60 was bent .

Last edited by 1tonxj; 11-18-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 AM

after the axle install i decided before realy pushing this rig hard i would install a set of Chassis Channel Reinforcement rails from ruff stuff which fit like a glove
Name:  jeep pics.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  58.4 KB

1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-013.jpg

1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-012.jpg

after the install i went out to the trails and the jeep was much more quiet as far as the creeking goes verry impressed with the end result
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM

what i did was slide the shaft in and marked the knuckles with a sharpie and used a carbide bit to grind 4 spots in the knuckles where the corners of the ears were contacting no biggie, minor modification for added strength

Yukon 4340 front 60 shafts ...you will need to either notch the knuckles or hit the ears of the axle shafts with flap disc to fit into the knuckle B/C they don't fit the way they come from yukon as they are cast a bit big ...which is no big deal if you know that first...lol
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 AM

how did you come to the conclusion it was bent, my seals were in great condition it was the axles that were scarred

also my front seals leaked when I got my XJ , and the seals were getting ate up...the reason was the housing on the front 60 was bent .
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cobra523601
how did you come to the conclusion it was bent, my seals were in great condition it was the axles that were scarred

Seals started leaking when i got it , But B4 I fixed them I sent it to Crawler Tech to install my Clayton's Coil link rear and Clayton's front , And since it was there for such a loooong time I decided to let him fix the seal since it also needed a rear 14 pinion seal and new pinion cage , and i just wanted to hit the trail when it was done , and during the seal replacement they inspected the housing and stated it was bent , which I'm assuming a level of some kind was used to check for it being true , But you never know with a shop , so it may never had been bent ...I ended up replacing them again shortly after B/C while i had 35 spline inner/outer the inners were stock 79 neck downs and exploded on a heavy shock load splintering the inner just past the neck down on the carrier side , which ripped up the new seal , which replacing the seals was quick...lol...getting the last 6 inches of shaft left in the detroit was not b4 I could pull the carrier .
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 AM

Default mo parts

when i got the jeep the winch and psc ram did not come with it so i opted to try out an engo 12k winch with synthetic line which seems to have plenty off ***** i had to winch out a buddy of mine last week in his z71 6in lift on 37's haha he thought he could follow me through the trails. i mounted the solenoid box where the factory battery tray is and i installed a dual optima ballistic fabrication battery tray in the cargo area along with a battery isolator useing all 2awg welding wire from front to back with copper welding lugs crimper and also soldered, shrink wrapped then loomed for protection

1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-047.jpg

1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-042.jpg

1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-017.jpg

i had 2 yellow tops laying around from another project one on the batteries will be replaced for a red top for starting and the yellow will for the winch

Last edited by cobra523601; 11-18-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 AM

i feel your pain brother me and a buddy took his f250 on 40's to red creek a local offroad park where he snapped a stock dana 50 pass side axle about 4in from the carrier which was a pita to get out after all was said and done he opted to get another front d60 from another 250 since the broken shaft tore the inside on the housing apart where the seal seats.

Seals started leaking when i got it , But B4 I fixed them I sent it to Crawler Tech to install my Clayton's Coil link rear and Clayton's front , And since it was there for such a loooong time I decided to let him fix the seal since it also needed a rear 14 pinion seal and new pinion cage , and i just wanted to hit the trail when it was done , and during the seal replacement they inspected the housing and stated it was bent , which I'm assuming a level of some kind was used to check for it being true , But you never know with a shop , so it may never had been bent ...I ended up replacing them again shortly after B/C while i had 35 spline inner/outer the inners were stock 79 neck downs and exploded on a heavy shock load splintering the inner just past the neck down on the carrier side , which ripped up the new seal , which replacing the seals was quick...lol...getting the last 6 inches of shaft left in the detroit was not b4 I could pull the carrier .
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 AM

Default re-wire

since i owned the jeep the raddesign shifter has not worked properly so i figured it was time to figure out why. I talked to rorry and we tested the shifter the micro switches didnt seem to be working properly so he mailed me the latest design the rail2 with it wired in i was still having problems with the torque converter switch after digging around some more i found the po had it hooked up the right colored wires but not the right wires at the tcu there are 2 wires with the same color code so i checked the pin #'s and found he had spliced the wrong wire so i re soldered the wire back together and fixed the problem. In the process of trying to get things to work i also cleaned the nss which was full of crap and was in need of a good clean
1 tons with 40's making it my own-jeep-pics-049.jpg
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cobra523601
i feel your pain brother me and a buddy took his f250 on 40's to red creek a local offroad park where he snapped a stock dana 50 pass side axle about 4in from the carrier which was a pita to get out after all was said and done he opted to get another front d60 from another 250 since the broken shaft tore the inside on the housing apart where the seal seats.

I'm just glad the detroit was un damaged ...The 4340 yukon replacement shafts have held up great ...I've had the 40's wedged into rocks and was able to turn full under throttle with no breakage ...I also was doing 4wd cookies in lo range in a truck stop parking lot and they held up fine when they found dry pavement at 5200 rpm with wheels turned at full lock ...lol

Quick Reply: 1 tons with 40's making it my own