Land Use Forum Utilize this forum to talk about our current and future land issues. Help keep the trails clean and open.

Google maps: map out your trail!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L
Cool Google maps: map out your trail!

I heard about kids over in California using google maps to find swimming pools to jump into, and I figured 'why not trails?' Well, here's my attempt at one, tell me what you think. Hell, maybe it will catch on.

Last edited by XJ Stryker; 03-31-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

NOT a good idea, on a public forum. you should get in touch with your local 4x4 trail committee and forward any trails to their database, therefore they can voice/lobby to the mnr to keep the rightful use of the trails open.

just remember, mapping out your trails along with pics of abuse/watercrossings is only ammo for the greenies to close that trail and paint a bad picture towards closing other trails.

we are fighting our own fight up here in canada with the delicate issue of trail use also. i know losing our favourite trail to the greenies is very annoying, and when they're closed, they will never be open again. it's easier for them to just close a trail than to re-open an already existing closed trail/network.

i suggest no one add to this, better yet, it should be removed altogether.

cheers.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:48 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Caged,

I think this tool can be used for good. You can plan your route if you don't have a map for the LEGAL roads you want to drive. Though its not right to use it as a negative tool for illegal use on some trail you might find. I hope this is what the guy was using it for, if not then yes take it down!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

i understand, but even our legal trails are getting closed when brought to the tree huggers attention.
also this will increase traffic 10 fold, therefore increasing the damage and attention to local property owners.

there are a lot of disrespectful 4x4 guys that are out to find trails to tear up and this is only a tool to make it easier for them.

up here, we've learned not to post trail directions on an open forum as it's worked against us more than once.
so now we contact our of4wd for any local trail info. they are the pro's that speak out for us here.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM

Engine: 4.0L HO

I see your point. I really do, but your also keeping good people in the dark. Besides who am I to say you cant use your public land, and how you access it. I know there needs to be more care taken with the land and those of us who do tread lightly can be a good example to them if not report them. There is obviously 2 sides to this and both have there ups and downs. I have been looking for a map of my local wheeling site to better inform myself of the trails, and cant seem to find one for the life of me.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:47 AM
CF Veteran

i guess it's different here, all our trails are mapped out through the snowmobile association.
we get our trail info from the MNR (ministry of natural resources) via the OF4WD (ontario federation of 4 wheel drive).

you should be able to get info through the land registry. if it's crown land, it's everyones to use. but some do go across private property and rivers/streams.

so, ultimately, Know Before You Go. just don't post trails that cross or on private property. aka No Go Zones.

i'm not being negative here, i'm actually being positive to keep your trails from closure. over exposure means closure.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L
Cool

Wow, didnt think I would open a debate... But both of you make VERY good points, and I agree with everything said. Maybe I shouldnt have posted this map, being as how some of it is private land, and some of it is public, but around here people dont care; so long as you dont cause damage to any structures or trees(being as how some of the land is on a tree farm), and so long as your respectful with the time of day(being as how people live within hearing distance of these trails). But, if we did post every trail, that would cause over-traffic in areas where, if there were idiot kids racing around, there could be an accident. However, if these trails arent brought to light, they die off, and possibly legendary hills or holes or ruts would be lost. Either way, I'm not sure if there is a trail riding committee around these parts. If there is, I would like to know if someone knows how to get in touch with them, and if their aint, well then, its a perfect time to start one.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Here's what I do. I plan the trip/route on Google Earth free version, then upload waypoints to my Garmin using Google Maps. I have thought about the greenies so if I use labels they reflect a point of intrest, hiking trail, campsite, never any reference to vehicle use, hunting or fishing.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
The CF Moderator

Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

CherokeeForum does not support illegal wheeling!