Land Use Forum Utilize this forum to talk about our current and future land issues. Help keep the trails clean and open.

Anti Wilderness Bill

Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system
Default Anti Wilderness Bill

As you may remember, when Al Gore was leaving Washington DC because Bush was elected, he being a super environmentalist, that is very radical, pushed an executive order that tied up millions of acres of land as wilderness to try to remove it from recreational and commercial use by the public. The majority of this land is in the Western United States because that is where most of federal lands are. We have a champion who is willing to try to reverse that, in spite of our current administrations attempt to enforce that executive order.

I received the following email today.

August 30, 2011

Dear Steve:

Knowing of your interest in public lands issues, I'd like to update you on actions I have taken to ensure all Americans can better enjoy their public lands.

Earlier this year, I introduced the Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act (H.R. 1581), which acts on recommendations of the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service to release more than 43 million acres of public lands these agencies manage, but have deemed unsuitable for wilderness, to multiple-use and local control. However, because of current law and regulations, these lands are managed as de facto wilderness. I believe that local land managers, local stakeholders, and communities around these areas know best how to manage their public lands, including potentially for responsible resource development, better healthy forest management, more reliable grazing, and numerous recreational activities. These activities could create jobs and generate new revenue for many rural and outlying communities across the country that depend on visitors to our national forests and public lands. That is why I am please that last month a Natural Resources subcommittee held a hearing on my bill, which is an important step in the legislative process. For more information on H.R. 1581, please visit my website www.kevinmccarthy.house.gov.

As your Representative in Congress, be assured I will continue to work with my colleagues to ensure the American people can fully use and enjoy their public lands.

Sincerely,

Kevin McCarthy
Member of Congress

Do not reply to this email, mailbox is unattended.

P.S.- As your Representative, I want to make it a priority that we continue our conversation so I can hear your concerns. One of the ways we can stay in touch is through email. Periodically, I send email updates about what is happening in Congress and surveys to hear from you about the issues. To sign up for these emails, Click Here
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Im not a West coaster, but its very cool that you are intrested in this. I applaude you!! Keep the pressure on......
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Thanks. I am not all that politically active, but I believe we all should as members of our wheeling community be active in protecting our hobby and not letting others with an agenda dictate what we will and will not do. There is a link here, feel free to contact this congressman and give him an email encouragement. The more he can document, the more clout he has.

Besides, you are welcome to come wheel with me any time.