Mid Atlantic West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

Trail closed???

Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Trail closed???

For anyone in Virginia Beach, you probably know about the one and only trail that many of us have been on, not too far from Oceana Naval Base. Was going to go on it today with MTParker and a couple others, and as I drive towards the entrance, I see four, "US Property, No Trespassing" signs. Each is held to a tree by a single nail. Now to me, if they actually closing the trail, the signs would be mounted more securely. However, I do not want to go wheeling illegally (we've already got enough idiots doing enough damage to our sport), nor do I feel like getting a ticket for trespassing.
I've been going there awhile and was originally told that it was privately owned (not gov't owned) and the guy was fine with people going there. I'm going to call the city tomorrow and see if they can tell me who actually owns the land. Whatever I find out, I'll post here.
Does anyone else have any SOLID information on the trail?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I was always told that was illegal wheeling.. I would call the baseor forrest service. I always operate on the principal that if I don't have written permission I don't go there. You muff also want to check with tidewater 4 wheelers. They are really up on what is legal and what isn't.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the extra info, Pat. I'll check with both those sources as well. Yeah, I don't want to do any illegal stuff as it'll just hurt the sport more, but I do want to make sure it's actually closed.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Like I said.. I never thought it was legal wheeling... in fact there have been several post on other boards about this.. and about how it is illegal wheeling
Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

I think you might have misunderstood me, Pat. I'm NOT going back there. I have in the past, but there weren't any signs up before. Now there are, which means I'm not going there anymore. I just want to make sure that it is in fact a spot we can no longer go (if we were allowed in the first place). I had been under the understanding that it was legal, and if I'm wrong about that, I'll fully admit to it. I haven't seen any of the other boards, so I can't say anything about them. I only know what I've heard from others here in Virginia Beach that frequent the spot. If it means another trail is closed, it's unfortunate, but if people (including myself, even unawares) have been back there illegally, then it getting closed is fair.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Dude you are cool.. I feel confident that since it is now posted a lot of ppl will stop using that spot. It is kinda like when I was back in High school wheeling the power lines. Well until one of my friends got charged with tresspassing (some tore down the sign at the entrance.. and the other signs were ther but he didnt look for them), and destruction of property. He had to pay restitution in the amoutn of a couple of grand to fix rute he didnt make.

I now have a rule.. unless I know it is public land (verified through forestry, or park ranger) I dont wheel there. the risks are too great to our sport. I figure someone owns evry piece of land out there.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PingPong
I now have a rule.. unless I know it is public land (verified through forestry, or park ranger) I dont wheel there. the risks are too great to our sport. I figure someone owns evry piece of land out there.
I completely agree. Good rule to have. I just hope others either have it, adopt it (my case here), or just don't wheel. Like I said, I thought it was a legal spot, but apparently I was wrong. I'm grateful it didn't take a ticket/fine for me to find out.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, it's official. The trail near Oceana is closed. The property is owned by Oceana and anyone caught on it will receive a pretty hefty fine - both for trespassing on federal property and destruction of property. They had been turning a blind eye because everyone was being smart and treading lightly, but due to a big increase in people going back there and the trail getting tore up they officially closed it last week. So, stay off of it and find someone with some land that you can get written permission from to go wheeling. Last thing we need is some idiot hurting our sport.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 high output

man that shucks, ive been back there multiple times, now that i know its illegal, im not going back there

BUT RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, on virginia beach bvld my friends land that is LEGAL, is open to the public, its only a couple of acres, but its legal and fun and can do what ever you want.

PM me for details, I and as well as them ( who own the land) enjoy having people 4 wheeling there and pulling people out if you get stuck.

Its near virginia beach blvd and birdneck road.