Mid Atlantic West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

store X in Lynchburg, Va

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default store X in Lynchburg, Va

Greetings fellow mud heads,
I was wondering if anyone in the L'burg area has had any dealings with a certain ****** X***? Seems one of the sales clerks there is NOT a fan (his words) of the forum,
I went in one day asking and a 3" spacer for my XJ, the 'ole boy told my I could only go up to 2" on my front lest it leads to the ruination (my words) of my front end, the impression I got was that he was trying to "push" me into buying a lift kit there, now I've owned both a YJ and XJ and know you can go up to a 3" lift using spacers and not really run into any issues,
Just curious to hear if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them there?
If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it,
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would never go to 3" of lift with just spacers. In fact I don't think Ive ever seen a 3" lift kit of just spacers. At 3" your front axle can be shifted out of place and cause issues, at 3" you could possibly have TC vibes.

Truthfully I would do it right and buy a kit, some new coils and a AAL for the rear, or check into the many different junkyard lift options that others have done.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM

I have on more than one jeep, oem coils but rubber spacers, may not be ideal for some folks but works for others,
There was one jeepster either on this forum or another who would fab a set together for a price, if I'm not mistaken I think he was offering a set with up to 4"? I don't remember exactly if that is correct,
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I ran a 3" spacer lift for over a year and never had a problem. It utilized a 3" Poly coil spacer on factory front springs quick front sway bar disco's and longer shocks. And for the rear it was a 1.5" rear shackel with a 1.5" Block on factory leaf springs NO rear sway bar and longer shocks as well. And a T.C. drop kit trimmed fenders and 33X12.50 Tires. So running just a spacer lift if your on a extremely tight budget is fine. But now im running a 6.5" RE lift. But it can be down with no problems.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

what's the name of the store? or at least what street is it on?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM

I'm not sure if I can say without getting into some kind of trouble but it's the only one on 221,
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

auto extras doesn't do jeeping. they put lift kits, 28" wheels and big subs on escalades, navigators and such. they build stuff mostly for looks, not performance. and charge $1000+ install for small budget lifts alone.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2/318 MSD Electronic Upgrades

I'll put this out there, I don't go to Jeff's store and this is why. You don't get helped, you get pushed or in most cases told what to do by people who aren't even in the sport themselves. Told you that when you were at my house, now you have your own experience w/ them....
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 AM
N2L

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Rustys has coils on sale for like 90 bucks right now. I'd say get front springs, and then block and shackle back aft. Not too much more than a spacer would be for the added performance up front. As far as spacers go, I've seen 'em in 3" but never for sale. Guys just had em.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N2L
As far as spacers go, I've seen 'em in 3" but never for sale. Guys just had em.

I have a set of 3" coil spacers I bought from rocky-road. On my jeep when I was just at 3" of lift. But now im running a 6.5" RE Lift... Well basically its a 3.5" RE Lift with those 3" rocky-road spacers on top.

Here's the link to there 3" Budget lift that I bought when I first lifted my jeep.

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html

Last edited by aquickmopar; 11-11-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by northline76
I would never go to 3" of lift with just spacers. In fact I don't think Ive ever seen a 3" lift kit of just spacers. At 3" your front axle can be shifted out of place and cause issues, at 3" you could possibly have TC vibes.

Truthfully I would do it right and buy a kit, some new coils and a AAL for the rear, or check into the many different junkyard lift options that others have done.
Sorry, I couldn't get past this... If he got a 3" kit then his front axle would move out of place and he would still get vibes as well. The only difference is that it wouldn't ride very well and wouldn't flex well either.

Last edited by Jeepxj1234; 11-11-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
Sorry, I couldn't get past this... If he got a 3" kit then his front axle would move out of place and he would still get vibes as well. The only difference is that it wouldn't ride very well and wouldn't flex well either.

Like I previously stated before I had a 3" Spacer budget lift that I drove on for about 2 Years and never had any bad vibes, and it never rode rough for that matter. Now I did use a TC drop with the lift. And I did plenty of off road wheeling and had plenty of flex with that 3" Lift for what I needed at that time. I even wheeled whith a few of you from L'Burg whith that 3" Lift so they can vouch for me. No issues with flex. It can be done if your on a budget so don't let anyone tell you different. I have pictures of me wheeling shoe creek with a 3" Spacer budget lift playing on the obstacles not bypassing them. If any one wants to see them.

Last edited by aquickmopar; 11-11-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by N2L
Rustys has coils on sale for like 90 bucks right now. I'd say get front springs, and then block and shackle back aft. Not too much more than a spacer would be for the added performance up front. As far as spacers go, I've seen 'em in 3" but never for sale. Guys just had em.

I have been thinking of just getting new coils for up front and doing blocks in back, the guy I mentioned posted in one of the forums, for the life of me I can't remember which one, he would fab a set out of steel to fit your particular jeep, the pics he posted didn't look half bad,
Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
3" can't possibly move the axle out of place enough to cause steering and alignment issues.
Rule # 1 FOR ALL JEEPS:
No 2 jeeps are the same.
So, when suggesting advice, the word "possibly" could possibly add more reliability to the information. i have done a bastard pack 4.5" lift right in my front yard, and it still rides with no vibes. but, i had to put a sye in another friend's ride because he had vibes at 2".
flex comes from shocks and control arms just as much as it does from springs.
there's no way to know for sure, until you do it.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:43 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Tural
3" can't possibly move the axle out of place enough to cause steering and alignment issues.
Rule # 1 FOR ALL JEEPS:
No 2 jeeps are the same.
So, when suggesting advice, the word "possibly" could possibly add more reliability to the information. i have done a bastard pack 4.5" lift right in my front yard, and it still rides with no vibes. but, i had to put a sye in another friend's ride because he had vibes at 2".
flex comes from shocks and control arms just as much as it does from springs.
there's no way to know for sure, until you do it.
I was quoting someone that said that 3" spacers would move the axle out of place and possibly cause vibes... Yes 3" will move the axle from its original position but I never said that it will move it a lot and cause steering and alignment issues? And I was trying to prove a point, not give advice; when he said that 3" spacers could cause vibes, well a 3" kit could cause vibes too. And also if the coil can't compress as much, then how is he going to get as much flex as 3" springs?

Quick Reply: store X in Lynchburg, Va