Shoe Creek run 7/22

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Shoe Creek run 7/22

Anyone here up for a Shoe Creek run next sunday?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Wow, 56 view and not one post. You guys sucks. Guess it'll just be us teamdohc.org guys going.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna go but I'm tied up that Sunday

Last edited by xjtrailrider; 07-20-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hope you guys are having/had a good time. Wish I could go, but I already have a trip out that way planned for later in the Fall. I do hope you stayed on the main trail, especially where it forks at the large camping area. The trail to the right (leading to Crabtree Falls) is public. The trail leading to the left is private property, starting where it splits (this includes Slick Rock, the trail leading to the top of the mountain, the trail going past slick Rock). Unfortunately, too many people go to Slick Rock either not knowing it's private property, or worse, knowing it's private property and not caring.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Hope you guys are having/had a good time. Wish I could go, but I already have a trip out that way planned for later in the Fall. I do hope you stayed on the main trail, especially where it forks at the large camping area. The trail to the right (leading to Crabtree Falls) is public. The trail leading to the left is private property, starting where it splits (this includes Slick Rock, the trail leading to the top of the mountain, the trail going past slick Rock). Unfortunately, too many people go to Slick Rock either not knowing it's private property, or worse, knowing it's private property and not caring.
We had a blast as always. This trail is in our back yard, we always stay on trail and take care of it, often do trail cleanups. Although you are a bit misinformed about slick rock. It is 100% legal to go to. Actually it is a popular camping spot. Not sure where this silly rummer started, but have only hard is said on 2 forums now. You and others may be confused with the "other" slick rock that's there that's right off the trail past the large camping area. That slick rock has been posted for a few years now, Along with picture rock and the rock garden. Also the trail that branches off heading to slick rock is private land.

This is legal slick rock

This is ILLEGAL slick rock
Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this trail marked like Potts Mountain is? If not, it would help if the local club would mark the legal trail so folks will know whats good and whats bad. We did this at at Potts and its made a heck of a difference. The entire trail is marked with arrow placards and all legal obstacles are marked with signs. This was done by my club SWVa4W. We also do all of the trail clean-ups and any stranded vehicle recovery up there. Someone should adopt Shoe Creek and take care of it so it stays open for a long time.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Happy

We had a blast as always. This trail is in our back yard, we always stay on trail and take care of it, often do trail cleanups. Although you are a bit misinformed about slick rock. It is 100% legal to go to. Actually it is a popular camping spot. Not sure where this silly rummer started, but have only hard is said on 2 forums now. You and others may be confused with the "other" slick rock that's there that's right off the trail past the large camping area. That slick rock has been posted for a few years now, Along with picture rock and the rock garden. Also the trail that branches off heading to slick rock is private land.

This is legal slick rock
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jqZ8U9UbTE

This is ILLEGAL slick rock
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN97fRowgY8
Unless you literally mean you own the land when you say "backyard", your "legal" slick rock is still private property. It's no rumor, trust me. I looked up the land tax info in county public records, found out who the land owners are and contacted them personally. Do some true legal research and you'll find that ANYTHING off the main trail - the one that leads to the Falls - is private property. You need to abide by the law: contact the land owner(s) - 3 in this case, a husband, wife and their son - ask permission to go on their land and if they say yes, as was the case with me, then you're good to go there and treat it respectfully. If they say no, or if you haven't talked to them, stay off their land. If you don't know who owns it based on actual research - not just what some people have said - stay off it 'til you have the owner's permission. Wheel legal or not at all. Period.

And only some parts are labeled with private property signs and/or orange tape on trees, and that is by the land owners themselves.I've talked to VA4WD about going in and marking the trails and was told that Shoe Creek is actually kind of a "no touch" zone. The rangers have been back and forth on closing it due to people tearing up the main trail, not abiding by the Tread Lightly rule, and going on people's property illegally. If you put up signs you have to maintain them, which means money, and honestly, at shoe creek, you'll need a lot of signs with all the branch offs there are leading to people's private land. The rangers aren't wlin to fork over that much money on signs they know are gonna get ignored/destroyed by idiots who go where they shouldn't.

Last edited by no rdplz; 07-22-2012 at 11:18 PM.