Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Question for you VA boys...

Simply question, hopefully someone can help.

I finally have the money to renew my plates. They expired in October,and my '91 XJ has sat except for the occasional drive around the lot (I live in a townhouse) so that crap doesn't seize and fu------- nevermind. You get the idea.

Anyways, I've tried and tried and TRIED to find out the answer to my question. The DMV doesn't offer a damn bit of help. They're about as useful as ******* on a man. Anyways, how much does a plate renewel usually run? I had specialized plates, however being as I am broke, I am getting standard issue plates with no specialization whatsoever. What is this gonna run me? My check deposits tomorrow, and I just want an idea of what I'm looking at.

Also, I read somewhere that they offer you a printoff that allows you to drive for 15 days after the purchase? Is this true? Thanks ya'll. I appreciate the help.

By the way, don't know if it matters, but I live in the Shenandoah area.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I think its like 60 bucks if I remember correctly.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its around $45.

Part of the state doesn't matter except some area's have county stickers and some you just pay extra on your PP tax.

Don't forget the VA State Safety Inspection-$16

I buy my tags on-line and yes you get a print out to carry with you until your stickers arrive. Beware though if the LEO is in a bad mood he can pull you and ticket you for improperly displayed tags if the up-to-date stickers are not on the plates.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red82
I think its like 60 bucks if I remember correctly.
And you might be right
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Oh yeah in vb they include what was the old city sticker. So 45 sounds about right if you don't have that to worry about.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

County stickers are seperate here. Hell, it's not even county. I live in the smallest town ever, and they have a sticker. But it's seperate. I have everything up to date with my XJ. Inspection is good through July next year. Sticker is good. All I need is the damn plates. Biggest waste of money ever. I can understand needing to have an ID marker for the cop who pulls you over for going 2 mph over the speed limit, but why, in God's good name, does the cost stay the same IRREGARDLESS if you just order new stickers for your current plates? You'd think the state would want to save on materials/shipping/data entry. But no, you get donked up the butt irregardless.

Sorry, rant over. I just hate the DMV.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjtrailrider
I think its around $45.

Part of the state doesn't matter except some area's have county stickers and some you just pay extra on your PP tax.

Don't forget the VA State Safety Inspection-$16

I buy my tags on-line and yes you get a print out to carry with you until your stickers arrive. Beware though if the LEO is in a bad mood he can pull you and ticket you for improperly displayed tags if the up-to-date stickers are not on the plates.
With my luck, the cops in Woodstock (our neighbor city) would do that. Especially since half of them are rookies trying to make a reputation for themselves. If they ticketed me, there's no way I could fight it in court? Even if I had the paper, new plates, anything? I'm not gonna lie... I miss the loud rumble and torque-on-tap my flowmastered XJ offers. My little Focus just doesn't give me that thrill.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

If You have the paper work printed out just waiting for the stickers to come in they can't ticket you. But they can pull you ifthey don't run your plates first. They should be knowledgeable on dmv's procedures.

Should be.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Red82
If You have the paper work printed out just waiting for the stickers to come in they can't ticket you. But they can pull you ifthey don't run your plates first. They should be knowledgeable on dmv's procedures.

Should be.
Should be is the key word there. The cops in this area SHOULD BE a lot of things... they're mostly all the opposite.

I'm talking cops who pull you over, because 10 ft from the 45 sign you start to speed up, they pull you over 1/4 mile from the 45 sign (didn't turn their lights on til after the sign also), and give you a speeding ticket, THEN proceed to tell you that they're trying to crack down on speeding.... all while I'm sitting in a 21 year old 4x4 tank with the aerodynamics of a box that has 205k miles on it. Also proceeds to tell me I need my exhaust checked (New Flowmaster Super 44). I told him "No need officer. That muffler is brand new. Just installed it the other day." "Well, you need it checked."

Sigh... what can you do? God forbid you actually speak your mind to these guys, even though it's a God given right and constitutional amendment.

Sorry, second rant over.