North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Hello from a Nutmegger living in Boston (And anyone in Boston with a green XJ?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Hello from a Nutmegger living in Boston (And anyone in Boston with a green XJ?)

Hello all!

Been lurking for a while, but my this is my first time posting on CF. I saw that someone else from CT had made a post introducing them self, and was going to post in there, but decided not to hijack his thread.

Hartford area resident residing in Boston, Mass here. Only about a week left up here till I'm back in the nutmeg state for 8 months.

I've got a '94 Cherokee Sport I inherited from my parents, had brake issues five years back (total loss of brake pressure, ended up going through the garage door...), and since has sat in our driveway since. I'm going to be back in Ct for a few months, and won't have anything to do after work, I'm undertaking the project of getting it running again.

Long story short, when I moved it into the garage a few weeks ago to start making a list of what needs to be done, I found:
  • two holes in the front left and rear right brake lines,
  • rocker panels have rusted all the way through (found this out while putting it on jack stands... got covered in rust)
  • quarter panel skirts are rust with black paint on them.
  • the hinge completely sheared off on the drivers side door.
  • Headliner sagging
  • Loose transfer case linkage, pops out of 4-lo

I'm gonna try to get her back into as close to stock, new condition as I can, and get used to driving it like that for a little bit before i go and buy a lift. Gives me some time to get started at my job and earn a bit of cash. I'm hoping I could get it at least in a decent enough condition to get it to pass inspection for registration in 3 months.

So, any words of advice? Glad to be here, and hope to get to know people around here a bit. Sorry for the long post, I tried to keep it short

Also, what's around the state for trails? I've heard of a few places, and managed to figure out where a few of them are located, but it seems like the last mentions I can find of them are in '08, and that at that point future use of them looked bleak. Don't know what the etiquette is about discussing them around here is though...

Here, have a picture, the green stuff on the bumper is lichen or something like that.

P.s.
Anyone from Boston's Back Bay, Northeastern University area in here? I walk downtown sometimes and always see a lifted green Cherokee on Columbus. That's kinda the reason I decided to fix this up.

Last edited by silvermeteor; 12-09-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Length
Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds like you have seen my buddy marks rig

Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 PM

Yeah, thats definitely it. My roommates would get annoyed every time I pointed it out.

Last edited by silvermeteor; 12-20-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Holy grammar batman
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Welcome. I'm from New Fairfield.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome, I'm in good old Glastonbury. Only Cherokees I've seen around these parts have been Juniors and Seniors in high school, though I've seen quite a few Yota's, Chevy's and Fords built up rather impressively.

I'm home for good for the year now, starting an internship next month, so I'm hoping to devote a lot of my extra time to tinkering. I've got a little bit of experience with fabrication and machining, though mostly it's all been on a small scale. Always willing to learn a few things, just have to tackle learning how to weld first.