Southeast Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida

I just bought the zone 4.5 inch lift ..now what? Madness?.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I just bought the zone 4.5 inch lift ..now what? Madness?.

Last night on eBay..after careful thought and shopping...I decided on the 4.5 zone lift for my 99 jeep xj...is the lift to big for daily driver??I also got a stablizer....no it's the add a leaf.....do I need a driveshaft now? What add ons would u recommend? Will this kit just blow everything up...truck ruined..cats and dogs living together..pure madness?..
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

First off, I don't run a Zone lift, but it sounds like a lot of guys here do. Aint nothin' gonna blow up..... sounds like guys that run them, have good luck with them too. Congrats on your purchase.

4.5" is fine for a DD, what size tire do you plan on runnin? 31" or 32", it looks like the kit comes with pretty much what you need, you don't need a driveshaft unless you're installing an SYE at the same time. the kit does come with the transfer cased drop kit..

I'd recommend a SYE & new drive shaft (or XJ front drive shaft) as your next purchase and tires if you don't already have them.

At 4.5 you may need a drop pitman arm, & should really think about a double sheer track bar.

Good Start, and yes it is a START.... problem is you never, yes never get to the finish line when lifting a JEEP....
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
First off, I don't run a Zone lift, but it sounds like a lot of guys here do. Aint nothin' gonna blow up..... sounds like guys that run them, have good luck with them too. Congrats on your purchase.

4.5" is fine for a DD, what size tire do you plan on runnin? 31" or 32", it looks like the kit comes with pretty much what you need, you don't need a driveshaft unless you're installing an SYE at the same time. the kit does come with the transfer cased drop kit..

I'd recommend a SYE & new drive shaft (or XJ front drive shaft) as your next purchase and tires if you don't already have them.

At 4.5 you may need a drop pitman arm, & should really think about a double sheer track bar.

Good Start, and yes it is a START.... problem is you never, yes never get to the finish line when lifting a JEEP....
Thanks for the info....yea I was thinking 31 inch tires..but that may be too small..? On 4.5
Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 31's on my 3" lift. You'll probably want bigger tires..but then you get into issues about re-gearing or not.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

You can run a 33 on 4.5" of lift but they will rub. XJs have small fender wells and if you want to keep the flares and fenders in tact you have to lift them a ton to clear bigger tires. If you plan to actually drive it and keep it looking stock, minus the lift, 31s or 32s are about as big as you'll want to go.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 AM

I think 31s may be to small on the 4.5....if I go 32 will I need new axels...? Probably not....
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Georgiaviper
I think 31s may be to small on the 4.5....if I go 32 will I need new axels...? Probably not....
No, could you regear, yes. Do you have to no. I'm on 33's with stock gearing and an auto. Been driving it for 2-3 years now. Saying that I have a new Hp30 & Chry 8.25 locked & regeared to 4.56, just got to slide them under.
32's would be perfect in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:53 PM

I have an RC 4.5 lift had it on for a year now it has 33's had to trim fenders to make them fit they rubbed pretty good. I have no sye kit nor tc drop kit and I have no vibes but will be installing tc drop kit soon cause I figured might as well but like I said I have no vibes or had to get an adjustable track bar just drilled a hole like on the directions but u will need stainless steel brake lines don't rely on the relocation brackets and btw mine is a 5 speed which could be a factor in having no vibes
Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM

And I have stock gears in my axle it just slows down a little bit while driving on highway up a hill
Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM

Yea mines a 5 speed too......a2 door.....got to get the lift. On soon..I'm hitting bottom on speed bumps at the mall !!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Georgiaviper
Yea mines a 5 speed too......a2 door.....got to get the lift. On soon..I'm hitting bottom on speed bumps at the mall !!
R u doing the lift yourself
Old 03-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Yep
Old 03-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Make sure u spray everything down with on blaster! I didn't cause I was stupid and anxious so I broke every single bolt and had to replace them and I also had to cut into the unibody to get to a broken nut out and put a new one in would have been helpful if a cherokee wasn't a unibody but make sure U have every single tool you'll need and be patient
Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 PM

I will..good points..thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 12:45 PM

Zone kit arrived ! In three heavy boxes.today....upgraded to the nitro shocks....4.5 lift..can this be a DD.....?..parts I'm collecting..the SYe. As advised by the forum..and driveshaft..adjustable control arms. Brake lines. Going with 32 inch tires on 15 x 8 black steel new wheels..rugged ridge wheels.......those with 4.5 inch lifts..did your familes disown you...mine thinks I should have gone with 3 inch. Lift.....

Quick Reply: I just bought the zone 4.5 inch lift ..now what? Madness?.