Great Lakes Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan

roof mounted lights mich. law question

Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default roof mounted lights mich. law question

ok does anyone know if offroad lights mounted to roof bow are iligal in michigan? a buddy of mine just got busted for seatbelt violation. and the cop also wrote him up for 4 illigal lights mounted to roof. but they were not on when he got busted. need help on this i have never heard of this
Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: blown 4.7

I would google it, I know here in mn lights can't be over a certain amount of inches with out them being covered.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

ytou can get a ticket if they are not covered... I run 4 front and 2 rear and have only had an issue when i was alligning them(got the ticket dissmissed).
Old 09-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

Originally Posted by greengoblin
ok does anyone know if offroad lights mounted to roof bow are iligal in michigan? a buddy of mine just got busted for seatbelt violation. and the cop also wrote him up for 4 illigal lights mounted to roof. but they were not on when he got busted. need help on this i have never heard of this
just cover them. if the cop is going to got that far to bust you then he'll find something. my dad got "busted" one time when they couldnt find anything illegal they wrote him up for "too much grease in the undercarriage of the vehicle"
if they want to write you up they will.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 368 V8

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
just cover them. if the cop is going to got that far to bust you then he'll find something. my dad got "busted" one time when they couldnt find anything illegal they wrote him up for "too much grease in the undercarriage of the vehicle"
if they want to write you up they will.

Wow that is ridiculous. Too much grease lol. Wow he wanted to write a ticket bad lol.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Year: 1995

I actually just asked this same question in the general chat! I was working on them in my alley way last night about 2 am, and got them to work when a cop came up and told me it would be illegal to use them on the road and that they were for off road use only. I was told by him that they didnt need to have cover over them though.

Im also in michigan. I hope this helps out just a little bit....
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Check this site: http://www.liftlaws.com/index.htm it might have some info for ya

A buddy of mine who is a traffic cop said that certain lights are designed for "off road" use only. Those lights dont comply with brightness restrictions, beam patterns, and some crap like that. These lights arent legal on any vehicle regardless of wether or not you comply with the laws about how many, how high, distance apart or anything like that

In PA off road lights must be covered at all times if the vehicle is on a road, doesent matter if its parked, driving, or if the lights are on or off.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Year: 1992

I am from michigan and think that they are suppose to be covered but mine are never cover
Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

i usually have mine covered, but if i go wheeling and i take them off, they stay off till i wash it and that can be a few weeks at a time. Ive never had problems with the cops when my lights were uncovered. Guess it just depends if the cops wants to be a butthole
Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

OP: Public Act 300 of 1949; Michigan Motor Vehicle Code Section 257.685 Subsection 5 states this:

When a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this section is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front of the motor vehicle projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of those lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at a time when upon a highway.

Short answer: No, he can have auxillary lighting as long as they were not lit. The MI motor vehicle code does not specify whether they need to be covered when not in use. I'm guessing the officer wrote him because he considered the lights "Fog Lights", not "off road lights" Section 257.696 subsection B says this about fog lights:

A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, which fog lamps shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the requirements of this subsection may be used with lower head-lamp beams.

Your friend needs to fight the ticket, classifying his lights as off road lights, not fog lights. He will probably need receipts showing they are for off road use only, and needs to testify that they were not lit at the time of the stop. It does sound like this officer wanted to write a ticket really bad. Good luck to him.

Last edited by firstime00XJ; 09-25-2010 at 11:22 PM.