Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8L V6
Question Need help with XJ in Michigan

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here and i have a problem with my 1986 cherokee chief with a 2.8L V6. I am looking for someone to help me diagnose the problem and find out what needs to be done that could come look at it in michigan (ann arbor area).

The problem is it keeps stalling out and has a unsteady idle. So to try and fix it i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Well now it has problems starting up and i can hear the starter starting to wear out. All help is appreciated Thank you.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 PM

Default need Help?

Hi Need help,in michigan,haha,i would like to help you i had a few of those cherokees my self and currently im restoring a Cheif cherokee,1987 from what i read on you post youve changed the fuel filter that was good but could be eletrical also check you alternator and battery and have your starter tested may have a bad solenoid on it and check your wires,to battery to starter you can have all these tested at your local auto parts store but there are alot of factors when diagnoising? your stallin or quiting problem could be a sensor a spark plug wire could be lot of things but nothing a good mechnic cant solve not saying your not but ive had a few cherokees and know what the problem is and make sure you have all electrical up to power is or might be your problem people change the battery before they check the alternator first so do that and check your starter also, so i hope ive help some what,good luck and happy trails,
Lonnie
Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 i6

Hey man I'm in the same boat as you maybe we can help each other I'm restoring a 93 xj sport down in Oakland county