Feed back on 4x4 Swap Meet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Feed back on 4x4 Swap Meet...

Ok, so I had this hairbrained idea yesterday. A 4x4 swap meet...

I haven't heard of one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one going on around here.

Background,
I was talking to my father in-law who is new to Jeeps, but has been an avid motorcyclist for years. Twice a year here in Kazoo they hold swap meets for bikers, one in the spring and one in the fall. These are very heavily attended and a fun to go to even for me and my family even though we do not ride. It got me thinking, why is there not something like them for offroading and 4x4's?

Something that would have vendor space for fab shops, after market parts, clubs, and parks. Swap meet area for the those with lots of parts to sell off both stock and after market. I was also thinking like some bike and car shows to have a place to bring you rig and show off, line them all up, even offer spots for clubs to park together. After bringing this up to my wife, she suggested even trying to DNR down to give out materiel and if its early enough in the year, to sell ORV stickers. At first I was thinking not to pigeon hole this and keep it open to any offroad vehicals, ATV's, trucks, jeeps, basically anything that can go where the pavement ends.

Now I have lots of experience planing events ranging from Sci-Fi cons, expos, and ren faires and know that setting something like this up would take a lot of time, energy and such.

So before I start getting gathering info and putting more then a few brain cells behind this I was hoping to get some feed back from you fellow offroaders.

Have you been to this kind of event?
How was it, would you go again?
If you haven't, would you go?

Or is this just another hairbrained idea that I should file away under "oops"
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L I6

id attend, there is quite a few bike swap meets throughout the year(my mom and step dad ride) il have to admit iv never seen or heard of any kind of offroad one. it could be a hit with the proper advertising. i say go for it
Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i organized one for our club a couple years ago.
it was a jeep swap meet and show and shine.
show and shine was better, with about 30 - 40 jeeps and the swap meet had about 5 vendors. and all of them were in the show and shine.
it turned out to be a flop. then i quit the executive and the new exec didn't continue it after that.

i know the first couple years will be slow, but once people hear about it, it'll get better. but our new exec didn't wanna take on the task.

it was a lot of work, but was quite fun, with potential to get better.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

How are you going to overcome the 'brand-ism' that exists in the 4x4 community? If people know it is being put on by a Jeep group, do you expect Toyota-ites, Chev-heads, or the Blue Oval Battalion to show?

These cliques exist in our hobby. Sorry, but it is fact. Go to any large park or event and you will see each little group staying with the others with the same vehicles. Or how do you expect to deal with the SWB Jeeps bias against the full body rigs?

Using Motorcycle groups or Sci-Fi fans as an example of what can be accomplished, doesn't really apply here... At Sci-fi conventions there are folks from every fan base and they don't mind being together. At off-road events its not the same way.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:43 AM

Hmm, true. There is the "brand-ism" among us offroaders. I hate to tell you, but there is the same issues at both Motorcycle events and Sci-fi...

Harley riders hating Honda riders, Gamers making fun of the Literary fans. And, well, everyone makes fun of the furries...

I can see that being a small issue with the first year. But if the event is done right so that there is no favoritism it should not be an issue.

If I do this, I will not have it be done by a Jeep group other then it being that I own a Jeep. I would make sure that it was a "offroad" or "4x4" name for the event. I do not want any association with one group or another as well.

Thank your thoughts tho!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

with ours, i wanted it to be for jeeps only. keeping it unique.
even tho our jeep club has a yota or two.

but as for parts, they could sell any drivetrain parts that could be used on a jeep. like dana44/60/9" or yota axles, dana300, NP203/205 T-cases...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Well after some more research, and a talk with the local POR 15 rep, why reinvent the wheel.

The Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restoration Club is looking to expand there swap meets. So I am going to talk with them this weekend about including Offroading into there swap meet.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by havensov

Harley riders hating Honda riders, Gamers making fun of the Literary fans. And, well, everyone makes fun of the furries...
Well.... they are furries.....
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

i would love a 4x4 swap meet...the ones i go to only have street rods and classic car parts, both have i have no use for...probably only 2-2hr 30min drive i would be willing to make...if you do organize it let me know i got some buddies that would also love to go
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

I think that this would actually be a great idea, with lots of time and effort put into it. I think that there are plenty enough jeepers to put on a big event, it just depends on how much publicity is put out, and once again, it would have to be convenient for people to make the trip, which would be tough.
What kind of vendors would you plan on having? would it range from engine parts anywhere to your interior?
Great idea. Thinking outside of the box a bit.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by havensov

Harley riders hating Honda riders,...
freaking harley riders :P I ride a ducati and i wave at every fellow rider I can. Most of the baggers dont wave back, but that didnt stop me from help pick up a harley when a guy and his wife's when thier bike fell over at a stop light.

I like the idea of a show and shine with Vendors.

What about having it at a fair grounds and have events like a tug of war competition? Best RTI score? Best in show awards?,...
Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

jeep blessing? kind of i know they have people like BDS and stuff there
Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991

i was thinking about org a show and shine type event down here for 4x4s and hot rods and everthing, like a big show with a swap meet for everything, wut would it take to get this done?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

A lot of time and effort!!! There is a lot of planning that goes into events that most people do not realize. Not a one man operation, especially if its for everything
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 PM

today, here in washington i went to a moon shinners swapp meet it tooke up a hole fairground it was awesome i got a few things, but i was mostly just chillin plus i had to work my stores booth.

Quick Reply: Feed back on 4x4 Swap Meet...