Why not to go off road without recovery equipment

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Why not to go off road without recovery equipment

I got my XJ last week, and finally got a chance to take it out and test it... And this happens...

Me and buddy were out and came up to this pond, Theres a small dam but the XJ was too wide to cross it, so we decided to test how deep the mud was. It seemed fairly solid where we tested it, so I decided to try it. I got about 3/4 of the way and my passenger side tires just sunk. Before I knew it was down to the doors on that side. I tried every trick in the book that I knew, nothing was working. It started over heating so I had to admit defeat and call my buddy to pull me out. On the the pix...

after it was over heated...

The ruts it left

After cleanin the wheels off so I could get home.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

neat..............
Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Registered Users

there is no way that place you were at was legal.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 AM

Year: 1995

A buddies pasture. He owns it, so I don't know how it couldn't be...We have trail rides out there quite a bit.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L (Renix)

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
foot in mouth..lol

thats the crappy part about TX, its not public land like when I was in Colorado, you could practically wheel anywhere and no one gave 2 *****s...

glad to hear you didnt ruin anything, when my pathfinder (years ago) got stuck a bit worse than that on the passenger side (identical scenario), my reverse quit workin a week later lol...

oh likin the white 2door XJ btw
Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 PM

Year: 1996 two-door SE

One thing that I've discovered on this forum is that a lot of Cherokee owners are passionate to the point of speaking without thinking.

At least you had a recovery point in the rear receiver. I saw photos of a vehicle that was recovered by the front axle. The axle was nearly perpendicular to it's original location.

Unless you have cell phone service or can hoof it home, it's best to wheel with another vehicle. Once I dropped both front wheels in the mud until my front bumper was laying on the ground. I spun tires front and rear. Fortunately there were a lot of cut limbs close by. I kept shoving them under the spinning tires until I got traction.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Most people on this forum disagree, but the first modification should be a winch with appropriate recovery gear to go with it. Why? Because of this situation here. He might have gotten a little farther with a locker or two, but he still would have sunk out of sight. It is much better to winch yourself out and avoid walking. I was out by myself last Sunday and ended up using mine twice for unexpected obstacles with no other place to go.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Year: 98

From the looks of the pics there is nothing to hook a winch to.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Most people on this forum disagree, but the first modification should be a winch with appropriate recovery gear to go with it. Why? Because of this situation here. He might have gotten a little farther with a locker or two, but he still would have sunk out of sight. It is much better to winch yourself out and avoid walking. I was out by myself last Sunday and ended up using mine twice for unexpected obstacles with no other place to go.
And where in that pic do you see anything to hook to? I'm thinking a winch would have been useless in that situation. I have plenty of recovery gear, no winch, and no plans to get one. But I never wheel alone - and trust me, my Jeep is well built & very capable.

The "first modification" should be a beefed up common sense. That way people will stop thinking their XJ is invincible and be a little smarter about how they wheel. Going alone is just plain dumb.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by jeepride
From the looks of the pics there is nothing to hook a winch to.
Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
And where in that pic do you see anything to hook to? I'm thinking a winch would have been useless in that situation. I have plenty of recovery gear, no winch, and no plans to get one. But I never wheel alone - and trust me, my Jeep is well built & very capable.

The "first modification" should be a beefed up common sense. That way people will stop thinking their XJ is invincible and be a little smarter about how they wheel. Going alone is just plain dumb.
A pull pal, or land anchor should be part of your recovery gear. Second, sometimes stuff just happens in spite of common sense.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by TX_crash
A buddies pasture. He owns it, so I don't know how it couldn't be...We have trail rides out there quite a bit.
then my bad.

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_

this ^
Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
Out here in TX EVERYONE either KNOWS someone with a water hole like that or they themselves have one... 99% of the time it is consentual wheeling.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

the common sense thing is the best thing for 4x4ing. just cause it says 4x4, don't think it actually is. its really 4x2
Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 PM

Year: 1998

i went to the beach a while back and went with a cuz of mine he wanted to try out his bravada which is automatic 4x4 and got stuck me trying to pull him out hooked up to some holes next to the bumper ended up tearing the damn thing so i ended up getting stuck also lucky there was a truck with a winch and did the favor but was pulled out from axle we got home and bought the hidden hitch off a junk yard for 50 $ know working on bumper with shackles ....learned the hard way jeje
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: ATK 4.0L

Originally Posted by superj
the common sense thing is the best thing for 4x4ing. just cause it says 4x4, don't think it actually is. its really 4x2
...and this is why you add lockers... not that expensive I picked both of mine up brand new from a local shop for 300 each and 350 for my xrc8 winch $950 is nothin compared to shredding your transmission, overheating your engine...and having some coolio with a winch pull you out and steal your gf)....Im usually that guy jk

Quick Reply: Why not to go off road without recovery equipment