Moving from California to Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Moving from California to Texas

Hey y'all, I'm moving from California to Texas in November, and was wondering what's legal and what's not on my xj. Right now I have 6 off-road lights, 2 on the front bumper and 4 across the roof. Do they need to be covered? These are them, http://www.harborfreight.com/off-roa...stem-3029.html

I don't have a cold air intake yet, but i was planning on putting on a k&n intake. I have a pacesetter header which is ca legal, i imagine that means it will be tx legal too? just trying to get a feel for what i should expect when i take it to an ispection station out there, any help, added knowledge would bve greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Depending on what county you live in depends on what emissions you need. As for the lights I don't think those will be a problem.. Grats on the move.. Job related or just wanted to live in the greatest state?

Oh..what part of Texas?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM

i'll be up in plano, just north of dallas. I'm moving in with a buddy of mine out there, and i'm getting a job doing logistics at the trucking company he's at. haha i've been out there a couple times, and really the only complaint i can find about texas is the summers. us californians get pretty spoiled with our 70 degree winters and 85 degree summers, i have all smog equipment,cali is ridiculous about cars, i just wanted to make sure i wouldnt be in for any big surprises.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:27 PM

U should be ok.. I know north Texas (DFW) is kinda weird..
Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 PM

are there any good off roading parks out there? here in cali we have a couple good ones, just gotta pay $10 for a campground and you get free reign of the trails
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Not real sure about up north... Maybe alto? A few hours south towards Houston there is general sams and another in splendorah.. Some around Austin.. General SAMs has muddi gras around deb, march.. Might be worth a trip..
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Year: 1998 Classic
Engine: 4.0

Gilmer (Barnwell Mountain) has a good park. Check this website out. I think it will help you.

http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/...171&orgId=tmtc

I lived in So Cal for 35 years. The only item you will need to adjust to is the humidity. I think up north it gets colder than down here in Houston. In my opinion, Texas is way better than California for living. The only thing I miss from California is the desert. If I could bring the Randsburg, California City, and Kelso Valley areas here it would be perfect.

Oh yah, if you passed the Republik of Kalifornias emission laws you will have no problem here. They do have a safety/emissions check once a year, but if the equipment in your rig is working (lights-including reverse lights, blinkers, wipers) and your brakes are in decent shape you will have no problem passing. My offroad lights, I just pull the fuse, no covers. The inspector has never asked me why the lights do not turn on.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 PM

sweet thanks guys. i'm from nor cal, so all we have is hollister hills, i go out to the nevada desert with some friends every labor day weekend (that'll be a bit of longer drive now haha) California is frickin ridiculous about cars, that's part of why i was so keen on moving. My rig only came with an outside mirror on the driver side none on the passenger side, will i need to put one on to pass the safety inspection? and do they care about custom made stuff? bumpers, grille guard, running boards, roof racks, light bars, etc etc
Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 PM

Year: 1997

as long as your not doing anything to draw attention the police really dont give a flying fk what mods are done to your whip.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:19 PM

ok cool, the other rig i'm bringing out is a 91 suburban, what are the laws on engine swaps and forced induction?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Aren't many laws here in Texas as far inspection goes- pretty much if common since says it's dangerous, it's probably illegal. Don't need flares either here. And welcome to Texas- where rust from road salt doesn't exist. In the first weekend of September, 4 Wheel Parts is sponsoring a run out in Hidden Falls- great place, near marble falls so pretty far from where your heading...
http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/
Old 08-17-2011, 10:48 PM

On your offroad lights you can have as many as you want, but on the roads you can only have two on at a time. So that would be two headlights and two offroad/fog lights. Plano doesnt have emission inspection so you just have to pass a safety inspection which is pretty easy here.