Midwest North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa

Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default newbie

I am a newbie owner of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee, and a newbie to CherokeeForum. I am looking for help with a windshied washer that wont work. I took the wipers off and the shroud under them and have determined that hoses are attatched to sprayers. what should i do for the next option??? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:45 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

There are two separate pumps attached to the reservoir. The one for the front is mounted lower than the one for the rear.

Unplug the one for the rear so it won't run. With the hood and the passenger door open, lean in through the passenger door and activate the washer. If you hear the pump run, you know it's the front one. At that point start looking for obstructions... Use an air compressor with a blow gun to try to clear the lines. Also check the pickup in the reservoir. And don't forget to hook the rear pump back up. If the pump doesn't run, start by checking for 12v at the pump when activating the switch. If present, pump is bad. If not, trace the power back... Will either be fuse or switch.