Midwest North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa

Kansas City Area Shop?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Kansas City Area Shop?

Hey all,

I am new to the boards I recently bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with the 4.0l engine. Overall it runs and drives well engine seems to run smooth and tranny shifts well. However I do have a rear end noise as well as a few leaks. So I figured I would come here to see if anyone has a place they can recommend or someone they recommend to work on it as I got a list from the local shop and think some of the repairs are pricey.

Main things on the list seem to be:

Transmission Pan Gasket and flush: $108 (Leaking)
Rear Axle Seals and Bearings parts and labor like $773 (They are leaking)
Valve Cover gasket: $200 (Leaking)
There were a few smaller things but I can't remember them I replace the light bulbs and little things.

The worst part is the shop didn't make me feel confident that replacing the rear axle seals and bearing would solve the rear end noise so I feel like maybe only the seals truly need to be done to stop the leak.

I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to figure out where the sound is coming from it's definitely from the back of the vehicle and it starts around 30 mph and varies in volume and pitch based on speed like its lower in sound at slow speed and get higher pitched at high speed seems to almost go away completely when just coasting. I think it may either be pinion or carrier bearings from what I have been reading but I am a little lost. It is my daily driver so I need to get it in stable enough running shape.

Anyways sorry for the drawn out post trying to include as much info as possible.

Beyond these issues I love the vehicle and think even once sorted out I got a decent deal.

Sam
Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Anyone? It is scheduled to go in to get the Rear axle seals and bearings and differential fluid on the front and rear changed tomorrow at the nice cost of a lot like just under $900.00. I really worry that the repair won't solve all the rear end noise and I won't know what to do if that's the case.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Are you mechanically inclined? The valve cover gasket shouldn't be too difficult if you can turn a wrench, and it'll save you a bunch of money. The price for all that work on both diffs doesn't sound terrible. Where are you taking it?

I don't normally recommend a dealership, but Gladstone Dodge/Jeep is actually a pretty awesome dealer, and very honest. Check out the KC thread in the midwest section also. Ratchetmaster can recommend you a good shop to go to.

Here's that thread: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f37/ka...6250/index109/

Per Ratchetmaster:

Sallas Auto Repair. Damn good work comes from there shop, and they have a 18month 18k mile warranty on the work they do and a 12m 12k mile nationwide warranty

Last edited by zimdogg; 08-09-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks I just got this now so unfortunately bit the bullet and am having the rear work done. This is only the axle bearing or if you want to call them wheel bearings and seals not the pinion or carrier bearings. I am sure it's the price that book calls for labor wise but seemed pricey to me but I do sort of trust the shop however I had them look it over before doing so it better solve the problem as I will not be pleased if its still noisy after shelling out this dough. I do plan to tackle the valve cover gasket myself sometime the leak is very small and the thing I worry about the least. I will keep Sallas Auto Repair in mind if I need some more work done as a place to take it. At the moment I hope that once the repair is done it will cure the noise I am getting stop the leaks and be good for awhile.

Thanks for the reply I will check out the other thread as well.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM

Well I got it back good news it the seals don't leak bad news it's still noisy so idiots at the shop didn't diagnose the sound well at all. At this point I may have to live with it pretty sure it's either pinion or carrier bearings or both it rides smooth and makes no noise when coasting but when I accelerate or even have maintain speed levels of throttle it is there.

Also noticed I have a leak in between the Transmission and Transfer Case it's bad enough to notice but I will likely have to leave it as I am not sure I have the funds for more repairs at the moment and I am not confident enough to try that job.

So the question is with the rear noise if its worn bearings but rides smooth should it last a long time?

Cheap subwoofer may be the easiet fix to just drown it out. (Just kidding)
Old 08-12-2012, 01:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

For the rear it does sound like a pinion bearing going out to me. It needs to be addressed but you have a little time
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Anyone able to recommend somewhere that does pinion and carrier bearings or rear rebuilds?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scohen158
Anyone able to recommend somewhere that does pinion and carrier bearings or rear rebuilds?
I know it's late but if you haven't got it done yet. Sallas Auto Repair does do them. However it gets expensive so your better off just upgrading.