Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default wheeling trip on 11-23-08 pics and video

This weekend myself and a couple of guys from work decided to go up on the uncompahgre national forest for a day trip. The trails arent very technical but there is some good culches and a few rocks. We went back in about 30 miles and up a good rocky road and at the end of the road was this.

That beautifull view is the Domingues Canyon and I forgot the name but you can see there is a trubutary canyon also. It felt like it was about 60* out at 12:00 when we reached this point. So we walked around there and enjoyed the view for a little while. Here is pic of the crew I was with. The grey dodge is a 1996 1500 with all 2500 light duty suspension and a leveling kit rididng on 35" Toyo MT's. The Yota is a 1994 all stock exept for 30" Mickey Thompson AT's and then my rig.

Here is a good poser shot of some cracked slick rock I found.

The road that the picture of the crew is taken on is the only road in and out of that spot. And it is just big enough to fit a full sized rig on, with a little extra room to spare. So then we ventured our way back down to cactus park and then took Tower road all the way back down to Hwy 141. From there we went back up about a mile or so and off the other side of the road for a little more technical wheeling. The Didn't have any problems except not having enough wheel travel a couple of times, but it is built like a tank. You can make in a stock cherokee with an okay spotter but we only went back in there like 5-10 miles. I will post the rest of the pictures and some video tonight when I get home from work.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice!!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I love heading up on the Uncompahgre Plateau to explore the old trails and roads up there. Lots of little used trails to check out
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ
I love heading up on the Uncompahgre Plateau to explore the old trails and roads up there. Lots of little used trails to check out

Yeah that is what I'm finding out. The guy that was in the dodge has been going up there for about 15 or so years and has personally cut a few of the trails in. He actually lived up there for a few years also. Anyways here is the rest of the pictures and video that I promised.

Here is a couple of poser shots from the longer run that we were on but I only have them of the Yota.

And here are the videos as promised

There are 3 from the first spot and 2 from the 2nd spot

Old 11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Seasoned Member

All in all it was a nice trip not too much hard core stuff. I know it's kiddie stuff to some of you guys. I'm in the process of getting everything upgraded so that I can to some larger stuff. I just ordered the Rugged Ridge steering because my steering gets messed up anytime I hit a rock. Hopefully it will work okay for me but if not then it's only $170 that I'm out. This spring is going to bring 4.88's and a rear 8.8 with disks. Thanks for looking guys!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Member

There's nothing wrong with exploring some easy trails. I got away from the hardcore stuff a while back and just stick to exploring now.

BTW- I really did not like the Rugged Ridge steering.....I could not stand the dead spot in the middle of the steering that is common with any inverted-t steering system.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Seasoned Member

There's nothing wrong with exploring some easy trails. I got away from the hardcore stuff a while back and just stick to exploring now.

BTW- I really did not like the Rugged Ridge steering.....I could not stand the dead spot in the middle of the steering that is common with any inverted-t steering system.
Yeah that is what I've heard. But I'm kinda strapped for cash and this seems like the easiest upgrade for now. My steering is kinda sloppy right now anyways because all of my ends are so worn out. So It can't be that much worse. I'll probably end up using a hiem joint on the Pitman end and maybe some spacers on the TRE's We'll see. All I know is that my steering isn't holding up to what I just did, so it deffinately won't work with 35's.

I think I saw you pulling your rig down 32 road one day. Do you have a F250 power stroke?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Easy trails rock!! When I'm on the harder stuff i don't get the chance to take in the beauty around me. Crawling is fun, but getting out to places that most people only dream about is why I built my rig.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Easy trails rock!! When I'm on the harder stuff i don't get the chance to take in the beauty around me. Crawling is fun, but getting out to places that most people only dream about is why I built my rig.

Yeah I was just looking at some of the trails that Intrepid has been on and they look beautiful. that's more what I'm building for, but I don't want anything to hold me up also! By the way Frank, that Durrango box is holding up great so far.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 99xjlove
I think I saw you pulling your rig down 32 road one day. Do you have a F250 power stroke?
I haven't towed my Jeep anywhere since July....I drive it to the trail.....so it's unlikely it was me that you saw. But I do have an F-350 Powerstroke.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Seasoned Member

I haven't towed my Jeep anywhere since July....I drive it to the trail.....so it's unlikely it was me that you saw. But I do have an F-350 Powerstroke.

I was talking about your other XJ. The one that is in your 21 rd picture up on the rock wall. It may not have been you though. But I remember seeing something that looked like that. Now that I think of it, it may have been white.