Four Corners Colorado, New Mexico, Utah & Arizona

Vacation 8/3-8/7 Anybody want to go wheeling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vacation 8/3-8/7 Anybody want to go wheeling?

As the title states, I'm on Vacation all this week. I'm wanting to do some wheeling, and of course don't prefer to go alone. Let me know if you are interested, and where you would like to go. I'm open for whatever, and have no timeline. I'm in Parker, CO and would prefer trails near the Metro Area.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, can't make this one!! Getting ready for Asian Express on the 8th!!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by hurley842002
As the title states, I'm on Vacation all this week. I'm wanting to do some wheeling, and of course don't prefer to go alone. Let me know if you are interested, and where you would like to go. I'm open for whatever, and have no timeline. I'm in Parker, CO and would prefer trails near the Metro Area.
shoot man go camping somewhere for a couple of days then join us on saturday and sunday for the asian express!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Default My Thursday Afternoon Voyage

Well nobody was able to go wheeling, and I wasn't able to make it for the "Asian Express" run, so I decided to grab my map and hit the Rampart Range area and scout things out Thursday afternoon. For those that have never been to that area, its a very popular Dirt bike/4wheeler area, and is good to run if you are by yourself, as there are pretty much ALWAYS, people within a couple miles (I don't usually prefer to wheel alone, and would not do anything hardcore by myself). I started my trip on the Hidden Valley Road trail. Traildamage rates this trail a high 6, and I wouldn't rate it more than a 3. Unless the road has been cleaned up tremendously, there was only one real "obstacle" so to speak, it was a rutted out area and I made it with zero slippage. Very pretty area however, and worth it for a Sunday afternoon drive or something.

Hidden Valley ends on Dakan Road, which i'm very familiar with, so I went ahead and continued on Dakan. Also another very easy trail that winds thru a Very "forested" landscape. There are quite a Motorcycles/ATV's on Dakan, so be careful. After a few miles I came to a Fork in the trail, and had to refer to the map for my next move. I decided to take a left on Bergen Road, which will put me further South on Rampart Range Road, closer to Long Hollow where I want to be. A few miles later I reach Rampart and take a right which takes me to the turn off for Long Hollow. A right turn takes me onto Long hollow (which i've never been on before). Long Hollow FS road 348, will take me along the rest of my "Off Highway" adventure. Again its a very easy trail, that traildamage rates a 2, however there was one washout (probably do the all the rain we've had) that I drove thru that was fairly Knarly. The rest of Long Hollow was fairly uneventfull but very pretty. There is another trail in the area called Illinois Gulch that includes the Moab hill obstacle, I wanted to go check it out, but missed the turn off. Long Hollow ends at Rainbow Falls Road (if I remember right) and you can go Left or Right, I went right and it took me to some private trout fishing club, looked very nice. I'm not a member of the club so I turned around and went the other way, which spit me out on HWY 67. Other than a huge thunderstorm and some beautiful highway driving, that was about the extent of my "Off Highway" adventure. Any of you guys ever want to explore Rampart let me know, i'm always up for Rampart (mainly because its close for me).

Last edited by hurley842002; 08-08-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Default Here are some pictures

A water crossing at the begining of Hidden Valley

A few flex pictures from early on Dakan Road

Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Default And some more

Here is the washout on Long Hollow

A creek Crossing near the end of Long Hollow

The rest of the trip was more scenic and less action

Storm in the distance

Storm Getting closer

Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Year: 2000

Danger dude iknow its a Tad late toreply now haha but it Lois like you had a sick little trip by yourself. Nothing to hard nd just got to enjoy yourself. Nice man. I enjoyed reading this. Thanks.