Four Corners Colorado, New Mexico, Utah & Arizona

Going to Moab, Jeep rental recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Going to Moab, Jeep rental recomendations?

Going to be in Moab for three days, and need recommendations on Jeep rentals (my XJ is not ready, and it won't fit in a carry-on anyway). This is a family trip, so I am looking at a four door.....rented a Rubicon 2 door in Sedona last year and was AMAZED at where I could drive it (and forget about the lockers or the disconnects, SLICKROCK is apparently NOT slick like muddy rocks here in the southeast).

I know Farabee's has been around a long time, and there is Canyonland and Cliffhanger...the travel review sites don't have a lot real technical details, but a 4-door Rubicon with a small lift should handle anything we will have time to try, or my skills feel confident to attempt....Farbee's has 4-door Jeeps, but they don't state they are Rubicons. Any recommendations on who to rent from?

Thanks in advance, we are trying to reserve our rental this weekend, about a week and a half out from our trip.

Dredwolf
Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

I'm not sure the name of the rental shop, but its at the south end of town. They just started renting lifted WJ (grand cherokees) which will be plenty capable, as well as comfortable! That would be my first pic for the family. Also a lot of guys will disconnect the sway bars on those rentals, & just hook them back up before dropping them back off the the store... just an FYI
Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
I'm not sure the name of the rental shop, but its at the south end of town. They just started renting lifted WJ (grand cherokees) which will be plenty capable, as well as comfortable! That would be my first pic for the family. Also a lot of guys will disconnect the sway bars on those rentals, & just hook them back up before dropping them back off the the store... just an FYI
That sounds like a sweet deal, I will try to find out more....we are hoping to get a Grand Cherokee from the regular rental company for our "regular" driving, but of course we won't know for sure until the plane lands. I wish I had a better idea how "bad" Fins and Things is, and if a decent driver in a Grand Cherokee could manage it..I know a plain JK will make it. Trying to "save" any prepped rental for Hell's Revenge and/or Poison Spider, just so I can say I have been.

Last year, we tried for a Grand Cherokee, and ended up with a Patriot.....that I promptly tested in Sedona and Flagstaff, and removed a little undercoating at Eden Mt too..

Love the area, so much from our last trip we are doing it again. Maybe one day I'll be able to trailer the XJ out there and REALLY break some things.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM

Year: 1991 RIP Flo
Engine: 4.0 pending 4bt swap or chevy 350

Just beat the rental.... And by rental i mean the one you drive from the airport...... I doubt you would hurt it... Enterprise won't expect it to be off road and you can take a stock Cherokee on most trails anyway.

Last edited by octobertide; 07-08-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

I wouldn't take a regular rental grand on fins & things, although it is the easiest slick rock trail in moab there is one decent that even my XJ's back bumper scrapes on! That spot inparticular would rip a stock 2011 WK back bumper off... where are you flighing into?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by octobertide
If it makes you feel better this last Easter I saw a guy driving a crown Victoria on hells revenge and actually doing well.
With that being said hells revenge is a great trail, & every obstical has a bypass, but I still wouldn't wanna play on it in a normal rental jeep!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Lol where is your sense of adventure!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Stay away from prichett canyon, throw away the fear of wheeling a stock jeep and give it the onion!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 PM

I wouldn't take a regular rental grand on fins & things, although it is the easiest slick rock trail in moab there is one decent that even my XJ's back bumper scrapes on! That spot inparticular would rip a stock 2011 WK back bumper off... where are you flighing into?
That is good to know...a co-worker has a GoPro video from EJS this year where they did Fins and Things in a new Rubicon, its hard to tell from the video, but I did see some by-passes.

We are doing a "mad dash across AZ and UT", wife and I were out last year, bringing the kids this time, and taking 3 days to show them the big gully (Grand Canyon), Sedona, Flagstaff (luv those night time temps), then we are headed to Moab for 3-4 days since we are so close (compared to home )

We are trying to do the easy trails in the "regular" rental (Long Canyon, Hurrah, maybe Gemini, etc), and save the "built" rental for Hell's Revenge or similar. Can you do Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things in the same day?

Wish I knew more about Moab...I managed to irritate several of the Pink Jeep drivers in Sedona, pulled over to let them pass like we were asked, since they were "going to be the experts and faster", then ended up being the main photography subject for their passengers, or waiting on them to clear a section so we could go .

Trying to pack the 3 days full, and plan the trail loops, so we can make the most of it.

-Dredwolf
Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by octobertide
Stay away from prichett canyon, throw away the fear of wheeling a stock jeep and give it the onion!
Prichett Canyon, from the little I know, is what we call a "Spare Vehicle" run in the southeast...starting from Spare Tire, Spare Driveshaft, Spare Axle, and Spare Vehicle.

I will happily stay clear of that trail.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Stop into the moab visitors center or smiths down there & ask for the moab trail guild bible! It will take you step by step tree each trail.

Yes you could do hells, & fins n things in 1 day, but it would be rushed. You would wanna get a really early start!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Stop into the moab visitors center or smiths down there & ask for the moab trail guild bible! It will take you step by step tree each trail.

Yes you could do hells, & fins n things in 1 day, but it would be rushed. You would wanna get a really early start!
I already have the Charles Wells 2nd Edition guide for Moab, but ALL info, maps, etc is helpful...I even managed to stuff topos on my Garmin Nuvi.

Yeah, I was afraid of that...just too much to see and do in Moab!

Been doing some research while sitting here, looks like Farbee's is part of Outlaw Tours now in Moab...and the Outlaw page mentions a $600 deposit .

Canyonlands rentals look decent, but the Grand Cherokee rental you mentioned sounds really awesome, hope I can figure out who it is.

-Dredwolf
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Did some Google mapping & it might be moab tours co. By the city market

I would imagine every offroad rental is gonna have a hefty deposit!

Last edited by builtnotbought89'; 07-08-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 PM

Did some Google mapping & it might be moab tours co. By the city market

I would imagine every offroad rental is gonna have a hefty deposit!

That is true, so far its been days rental up front. I will check them out, thanks.

And nice XJ build!

-Dredwolf
Old 07-09-2011, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks & your welcome!

Quick Reply: Going to Moab, Jeep rental recomendations?