Pacific Southwest California & Nevada

CA émissions with a 2001 Cherokee Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default CA émissions with a 2001 Cherokee Sport

I've just shipped my 2001 Cherokee Sport to my daughter in SoCal, and by the end of this month, it's Massachusetts emissions test expires. I know that California has a very strict emissions program, and would appreciate any advice you Jeep-enthusiasts who live there may have about how I should approach this. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the car's emission system, and it's never been modified, so far as I know (bought it used two years ago with 57K miles on it, and it runs great and has twice passed Mass emissions). But a friend of my daughter's told her that there are some tips and tricks worth knowing before you drive up to the inspection station.

Please advise, or send a private message if you'd like. Steve
Old 07-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 ho

Mine was originally a Arizona vehicle. The only time I failed was one the manifold was cracked and they failed it visually. Second the guy I bought it from put a non CARB legal cat on it. I had a new one put on for around $150.

After talking to a couple smog stations they told me the xj's always fail do to the cats being old. Even with a brand new cat it barely passed. Might be worth throwing a new one on if it's the original.

If it's all stock I wouldn't worry to much.

Good luck
Old 09-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in your state will it let you register as bing out of state my sons in the navy he was stationed in texas we ship his car to him when his registation came due we paid the fees and fill out a affidaved that stated the car is out of state and they would wave the smog oh by the way i live in california we did that for two years i also do it with my jeep that i drive in state havn't smog it in four yars