Pacific Southwest California & Nevada

Bay Area: Pondering getting rid of my dormant 89 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bay Area: Pondering getting rid of my dormant 89 Auto

I've got an 89 Renix 4.0L Cherokee Laredo, auto, NP-231 transfer case which needs some work, I'm deciding whether to put time into it to keep, to put time into it to sell, or to donate it just to get it off my hands. There's a bunch gone in already and it'd make a good project car for someone, but I've also had it up on jack stands for a few months and haven't gotten around to it.

Details... About 170K miles on the motor. New tie rod ends, ball joints, main seal, oil pan gasket, valve seal gaskets, plugs and a couple of other things done by Golden Gate Jeep last winter (have receipts, ran to a few grand). Patched (riveted sheet) rust holes in the bed, POR-15 over any rust, new carpet crudely cut in, several bits of interior trim replaced. Headliner removed and replaced with Raamat/Ensolite self-adhesive sheet. Herculined cargo area. Alpine MP3 stereo with new speakers, smartphone holder with Qi wireless charging. New headlights and replaced some taillight assemblies. New windshield and wipers. General Grabber AT 2 tires with a couple of hundred miles on them. New starter, alternator, serpentine belt, heater core (gets nice and hot on demand in the winter). Ratty rattle-can black paint done clumsily in the driveway.

The bad... weird, loud, noisy squeak from around the flex plate area where the transmission mates to the engine. Haven't been able to track this down by looking, next move is to back out the transmission to look for damage/busted bearing somewhere. That's the work I haven't gotten around to. Started after some play in a mud pit at Carnegie SVRA. That play took out the old alternator and I thought the noise might just be serpentine belt slip -- but replaced the and it's not that.

Has the traditional Cherokee header crack so may need work to pass smog. Have a replacement header along with replacement engine (and sway bar) mounts and gaskets to do the work, but haven't done it. Also have a new flex plate ready to install.

So it's had a bunch of work done, and was expected to serve as a dog car. The howling might be something easy to fix, it might not, either way I haven't got around to it. Anyone interested?