Christmas Valley, OR/ Desert Jeep Run in May

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Christmas Valley, OR/ Desert Jeep Run in May

This is an open invite to Christmas Valley in May. Were hoping to have a large turnout. Info is below:

Organizer: David Ruppel Springfield, Oregon

[/quote]01/02/2009 5:43 PM Alert
Here is the plan for the Christmas Valley area campout and run that I'm leading for pnwadventures.com I am inviting NOS, Expeditionportal.com, and 4x4him.org along as well. This is what I have planed for the weekend. I hope some of you can join us on the run.

Christmas Valley area high desert run.
May 8th to May 10th.
Friday 8th meet at Christmas Valley Dunes. Set up camp, meet and greet each other, play around the area. Make sure you have a flag for the dunes. Basicly a day for everyone to get there.
Saturday May 9th This will be a long loop threw the desert. It will take all day and you will want to bring a lunch and plenty of water in case it's hot. We will start out at 8:am so you will have to be gassed and ready to go. The loop will start right from camp. It is almost 100% gravel,dirt, and sand roads and trails. I will be prerunning the loop before hand and I will get the mileage down and make sure there are no washouts or anything else that would stop us from making it. It will be slow going most of the time but not any hard stuff, but it is rough in alot of areas. We will end back at camp probably after dark.
Sunday May 10th Head into Christmas Valley, gas up, and then head for the top of Table Rock. Then we will head into the National Forest and travel some back roads and end up at Hole in the Ground. Those that want to cut out early can take NF Road 18, when we cross it, North past China Hat and on to Hwy 20. Or head South to Hwy 31. Once we are done at Hole in the Ground, we'll head out to Hwy 31 and the end of the line. We will be heading home from there going NW to 97 then over Hwy 58 back to Springfield, others that need to go North can turn North on 97.
I'll give more info as it gets closer if there are any updates I need to tell you. Rupe[/quote]
Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Just moving this to the top of the list. So far about 20 rigs are going to make it. Hope see some of you there. Here are some directions and info from the organizer.

03/28/2009 10:07 PM question number 1: You can get an OHV sticker at Walmarts, Bimarts, GI JOES, places like that. I even think they sell them at the little stores in Christmas Valley. Answer # 2, Go to Google maps and type in Christmas Valley. I don't have the GPS coords written down anyplace. But it's really easy to find. Go East fromt he Chevron station in Christmas Valley. Go approx. 8 miles, Turn Left on Fossil lake Rd. go north until you hit Lost Forest Rd. (first stop sign) turn right so then your headed East. Keep going until you come the end and have to turn right or left. Turn Left and go about 100 yards or so. We'll have our silver gray JK and a jumping jack tent trailer. You will also need a Flag that you can pick up just about anywhere. It must be 9 feet from the ground to the top of the Orange flag. Remember it is a dry camp no water and they may or may not have the outhouses in place after the winter. later Rupe
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I used to live in Western OR. I have been to Christmas Valley. Lots of fun, antelope to see etc.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Anyone going to make this trip?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Cant, its mothers day weekend thats probably why other people cant make it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

Wish the jeep was operational and lifted. I would bring our sand rail and quad!!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by fivendime
Cant, its mothers day weekend thats probably why other people cant make it.
Bring the family.. or make it home for a good mothers-day dinner. She's a mom.. she will understand.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Yeah, if I tried to make that run on Mother's day I'd most likely be sleeping in the garage....LOL. Not to mention I'd miss the Brown's Camp run....and there is no way I'm missing that.

Joey, do you have a new date yet?? I need to get that on the calender.