Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

zj rear disc brake question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default zj rear disc brake question

hello, before i start i did try and search on here and the search wasnt working or something.. ive read the write ups online on how to put on the rear disc brakes from a zj onto an xj but nothing is mentioned about a proportioning valve. is it needed? it was always my understanding that a disc/drum system uses a different proportioning valve from a disc/disc setup.

i found a wrecked 98 limited 5.9 in the yard today. so im gonna try and get the rear brakes, try and see if it has the gas tank skid plate on it and pull it if so. it has real nice leather seats. will those fit into an xj? is there anything else worthwhile on those style jeeps? it seems that more can be used from wj's than zj's but this one is here and has alot of good stuff on it. any info is appreciated
Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Use the proportioning valve off the donor......
On the V8 ZJs you can use the drivers side tie rod end and bar to replace yours. Its a 15 minute swap and the bar is much bigger and stronger.

Borrow a pickle fork from autozone for free. It will make removing them a lot easir.