Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Your opinions on an upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Your opinions on an upgrade...

Hey all, I've decided on a first mod for my XJ. I have about 350 dollars to spend and I've decided to start with the intake and purchase the K&N FIPK. Looking ahead at furthering the intake upgrade, I'm looking toward a bigger throttle body.

With the amount of money I currently have, it is possible for me to do both upgrades. The determining factor is whether or not to waste 230 dollars on a new 62mm throttle body or spending about 90 dollars on a ported one.

It doesn't seem to me like it would be worth the money to purchase a new one if you knew someone who was good at porting the stock one.

Is there something I am missing? Is there really a benefit in a new TB vs a properly and quality ported stock one?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TWXJ97
Hey all, I've decided on a first mod for my XJ. I have about 350 dollars to spend and I've decided to start with the intake and purchase the K&N FIPK. Looking ahead at furthering the intake upgrade, I'm looking toward a bigger throttle body.

With the amount of money I currently have, it is possible for me to do both upgrades. The determining factor is whether or not to waste 230 dollars on a new 62mm throttle body or spending about 90 dollars on a ported one.

It doesn't seem to me like it would be worth the money to purchase a new one if you knew someone who was good at porting the stock one.

Is there something I am missing? Is there really a benefit in a new TB vs a properly and quality ported stock one?

Thanks!
dd or wheeler? if its a dd then I would might do both. You will not see a large enough advantage if its a wheeler to justify it. Never seen a ported stock one come into the shop. Our shop rig has a new TB and I cant tell the difference between it and my stock TB xj.

regarding the K&N. I would do it if its a dd
Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTBboring.htm

cost you nothing if you can do it yourself
Old 05-30-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
dd or wheeler? if its a dd then I would might do both. You will not see a large enough advantage if its a wheeler to justify it. Never seen a ported stock one come into the shop. Our shop rig has a new TB and I cant tell the difference between it and my stock TB xj.

regarding the K&N. I would do it if its a dd
This is definitely a DD jeep but, I'd like to do some light off roading sometimes. Also, I read on another site that it's recommended to use higher octane with a TB upgrade. Is there any validity to that?

Originally Posted by Cherokee
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTBboring.htm

cost you nothing if you can do it yourself
Thanks for the link. I consider myself relatively tool savvy so I'll check it out.

Last edited by TWXJ97; 05-30-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

If you are looking for the good filter, then AEM is a better filter and is a dry filter so it doesn't have to be oiled to work. But if you are stuck on K&N, I have one I will sell you that has never been used with a recharge kit and the foam to go over the filter for $40 + shipping