Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

yj bellypan/crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output I6
Default yj bellypan/crossmember

I've been considering the idea of swapping my stock crossmember for the much-more-protective skid-like crossmemeber from a yj (or cj...) but I have been unable to find any info on it, and I was wondering if anybody on here has done it. I measured my friend's yj and if I recall correctly the frame/unibody rails were close enough to the same distance apart that it should work with some new holes drilled.
That being said, my question is primarily about where the tranny mounts to the crossmember- should the same tranny (ax15) on a yj and xj mount the same? and are there any other issues I should be concerned with? I would get out in the jy and check myself for the tranny mounts, but I don't have that option at the moment...
Also I just wanted to get this idea floating around, as it seems like a good one to me, given the cost of aftermarket skids...
Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just use the XJ stock T-case skid plate. Been working great. I would see no reason to do the mod.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output I6

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
I just use the XJ stock T-case skid plate. Been working great. I would see no reason to do the mod.
I'd do that if I could find one, but none of the jys where I'm at have ANY stock xj skids. I've definantly been keeping an eye out though, and I'll do that if I come across one on CL or something before I get around to trying the yj idea.