Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Yet another grinding noise question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Yet another grinding noise question

This is my first 4WD vehicle so all that is new to me, but, I have a noise that I have not been able to isolate and don't know if it's normal or not.
The noise sounds much like a brake pad just barely rubbing against a caliper but the noise doesn't change when I gently press the brake pedal. Turning and stopping do not seem to affect the noise. It's definitely coming from the front but I can't say from which side. It isn't very loud.
We removed the wheels and checked both hubs for any play - none. I drained and flushed both differentials and the transfer case - didn't make any difference. It doesn't sound any different in full-time 4wheel. We're stumped and wondering if it could be a pinion bearing or early wheel bearing failure. Reading some of the many threads here on front end noises also has me wondering about U joints. I'm also thinking of removing the front drive shaft to see if that removes the noise. The front end feels generally tight with a little wobble at about 50mph. With 146,000 miles now, I know it's rarely been off road.
If you've read this post carefully and have any ideas, I'm listening.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

The backing plate isn't touching the rotor is it? One of the hubs could still be bad and not have any play. Try spinning each one with the wheel off the ground and listen for any noise.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Use caution when you do this. Find very level ground perferably on concrete. Put the Jeep in neutral and turn it off. Have someone in the driver seat. Crawl under the Jeep and roll one of the front tires to get the jeep moving and listen for where the sound is coming from. Have your friend step on the brakes if you feel you might be run over.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM

I'm thinking the unit it up on jack stands while all this fun takes place.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 PM

Default Mystery noise - the end.

Today I got tired of screwing around trying to diagnose the source of the mystery front end noise. One person says one thing, another person something else entirely and I'm leaving on a 5 day trip on Thursday
I went to NAPA and bought their second best hub assembly. I took the Cherokee home and put the front end up on jack stands. I went back and forth spinning the front wheels until I decided that the driver side wheel was making a faint grinding noise.
Using what I learned from watching half a dozen You Tube videos I removed that assembly. I'd been spraying PB Blaster on everything for a few days to ease the way.
Sure enough, the inner seal was in tatters and the metal around the bearing race discolored from heat. Still, there was no play in the bearing assembly and it turned freely.
The new hub popped right in and a half hour later I went for my first ride in a quieter jeep. That was nice.
This really wasn't that difficult a task and cost me about 125.00 and a little sweat equity for more peace of mind.