Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ speedometer cure??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ speedometer cure??

This may be able to be aplied to other Jeeps as well. I was having trouble with the speedo on the XJ working intermitently. I searched the forums and researched tech postings and jumped through all the hoops that I found. I tested with the multimeter and had no answer. This is where they say it is better to be lucky than good. I stepped back and started to visually inspect the wiring and connectors that were involved with the speedometer circuit. After each section and connector, I would clean and lube the terminals in the connectors, just as preventative if nothing appeared to be a problem. Then a test drive to see if anything had changed. I inspected, cleaned and protected a connector at the firewall, and SHAZAM, the speedo worked great, and 3months later, still is. I posted this on a whim when I thought of it. I will go back to my wiring diagrams and post up the connector number that must have been the problem. Funny thing is, why did I not find a lead to that with the multimeter? Maybe it is better to be lucky than good.