Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ radio dead/speaker buzz/fuse box noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ radio dead/speaker buzz/fuse box noise

Hey guys,

So I am new to the world of Jeep - I recently purchased a 2000 Cherokee XJ.

I decided to do an oil change and switch out the plugs, when working on electrics I disconnected the negative battery terminal, but it seems I've none more harm than good.

After I finished, I switched on the ignition the radio was totally dead, and (the only working speaker) the driver side speaker would buzz like crazy, however if I switched the headlights on, it would go away, but radio still dead??? (Radio was working before this)

Also (I've had this happen since I got the vehicle) when I switch ignition on or off there is a weird noise from the fuse box in the car. This doesnt seem to do anything negative, but I am curious.

I have checked most of the fuses manually, there was one blown, I replaced it, but it didn't make a difference. I've taken the radio out and everything looks fine and I've reset the computer.

I've made a video, please check it out and if you have any ideas, please let me know - link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqr...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-02-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you have a bad ground. Since you disconnected and re-connected the negative on the battery, I would go back and check that. Make sure the cable and the terminal is good. If there is corrosion at the terminal clean it off. Pay attention to where the wire is crimped. Also double check the fuse for the radio.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/how-to...diagram-398208

Last edited by mikesignal; 01-02-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hi, Rude, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the good description of your problem - it helps us help.

Yep, grounds are a #1 suspect here. Check out what I just posted to another guy, I think you'll find it helpful.

One thing to keep in mind - a multimeter can show good voltage even when there is corrosion in the circuit somewhere. A test light may show nothing or very low voltage at the same measurement point. The moral? Use both!

Also, on the buzzing, invest in a mechanic's stethoscope. They are great for running down the location of strange noises. (Just don't aim one at a politician - it doesn't work on those kind of noises.) It should help you track down that buzzing. Try poking around with it in your engine compartment and you will be amazed at what you hear. Water pump, alternator, power steering. Really helpful for finding bad bearings and all kinds of things.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:14 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all this. been busy, but gonna give it a go today.

On quick inspection there are a few earth wires that are hanging loose so going to check there.

Will let you know how I go.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Re the noise from the fusebox. There are relays in there, check to see if the noise is from one of them
Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Hi, Rude, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the good description of your problem - it helps us help.

Yep, grounds are a #1 suspect here. Check out what I just posted to another guy, I think you'll find it help

Also, on the buzzing, invest in a mechanic's stethoscope. They are great for running down the location of strange noises. (Just don't aim one at a politician - it doesn't work on those kind of noises.) It should help you track down that buzzing. Try poking around with it in your engine compartment and you will be amazed at what you hear. Water pump, alternator, power steering. Really helpful for finding bad bearings and all kinds of things.
Hey Mark,

Thanks for all this! Read the suggested thread too.

So shortly after I posted this a slightly more serious problem occurred, started jerking while cruising on the motorway, got home and seemed like it was misfiring or fuel starved. Anyway after reading your other post, cleaned all the grounds in the engine bay, replaced a few wires and viola, problem solved.

The radio is still dead, but hey at least I've won one battle.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 AM
CF Veteran

Excellent!

Heh. But according to some, battery connections and grounds don't have anything to do with spark.....

Now get back to peeling that onion!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Excellent!

Heh. But according to some, battery connections and grounds don't have anything to do with spark.....

Now get back to peeling that onion!
Could it be the CPU grounds doing that? I started it up after I cleaned the grounds one by one and it stopped after the I cleaned the ones under the CPU...

Anyway, I'm gonna "keep peeling that onion" really dont want to take it into an Auto Electrician!

I have triple checked all the fuses and they're fine...actually, I think I'll just try connect a separate wire to the radio, then ground it. That will tell me if that is indeed the problem!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Could it be the CPU grounds doing that?
Yep. Could be.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 AM

So an update;

Mark you were spot on about the grounds. Connected a fresh cable and viola, 100%.

I decided to fix a couple other common electrical problems while I was in the mood.
Door speaker didnt work - broken wire and found a fix on youtube for the power window problem that required a mere drop of solder on the master door control panel, couldn't believe how simple it was.

Before this I've never even used a Multimeter, so its all VERY satisfying.

Thanks for all the help...next stop, DEATH WOBBLE!
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Nice.