Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ overheating problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default XJ overheating problem!

I have a 89 xj 4.0 with the radiator that had no radiator cap!
now i knoe im not the only one that has delt with the overheat problem, when your out 4x4!
Is there a radiator that is the open system with a damn cap that will fitin mine!
and i hooked my ac fan up to a swich and i just turn it on when im out playing and that works alright!

any other sugestions that i shoud do!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I also have a hesitaion kinda spurter promblem when im driving, it idles about 1500-2000 but when i am just crusing it pops and hesitaites and sputters but when i floor it! it runs perfect and has lots of power.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 PM

you can order a conversion rad form quadratech.com direct bolt in. try a good complete tune up and oil change with air and fuel filter to get rid of the sputtering.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

As far as the poor running, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak!. That is why the idle is so high! I new radiator with a filler neck would be a wise choice! Do away with that surge tank system! Why do I keep using exclaimation points!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Good link for Radiators here http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator ...Tj
Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this tip off of here so someone was a ton smarter than me because I was still fighting the closed system.

When you complete the conversion you can use the old plastic bottle for target practice! I put two new plastic bottles and new caps on my 89s with the same results...problem was fixed for a short time.

Here is the cheapest fix for the closed system. Get one of these put it in the upper hose. Here is the link to the part http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSI-971/ I put mine in so it rests in the hose bracket over the AC lines. I removed the old bottle and bracket. I cut the old hoses off and replaced them with new heater hose. You need to pick up a heater control valve for a 91 jeep cherokee. I did away with mine because I put a ball shut off valve in line to turn off the hot water durning the AC season. I just installed an additional heater in the rear as well. I also picked up an over flow bottle kit from Advance Auto and installed it where the old bottle was. The entire process took about thirty minutes to complete and about $50. I have been running the open system with the closed system radiator, which was only 1 year old 3 row heavy duty, now for about 4 months and have not had one problem. I have not had any air lock issues or burping issues this way. It may be the best money I have put into my jeep. I have another 89 in storage right now and when it hits the road again this summer you can beliveve that is will be fixed to run with the open system in-line cap. It too has a brand new three core radiator.

I have not over heated once or boiled over after the conversion.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l

Very nice I will try that