Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:06 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default XJ overhead console

My 2000 XJ doesn't have an overhead console and I was wondering if I could grab one from a WJ in the junk yard and just get the compass and air temp to work. When I was doing the headlight harness upgrade, I noticed the temp sensor is already in the grill with a harness connected to it, but I haven't a clue as to where it goes. I haven't looked at any XJ's in the junkyard yet, but there are lots of WJ's there. It might be easier to just find one from a Cherokee anyway. Thoughts? My headliner needs some love so I'll be taking it out soon anyway and I'll look for wires.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by dave1123
My 2000 XJ doesn't have an overhead console and I was wondering if I could grab one from a WJ in the junk yard and just get the compass and air temp to work. When I was doing the headlight harness upgrade, I noticed the temp sensor is already in the grill with a harness connected to it, but I haven't a clue as to where it goes. I haven't looked at any XJ's in the junkyard yet, but there are lots of WJ's there. It might be easier to just find one from a Cherokee anyway. Thoughts? My headliner needs some love so I'll be taking it out soon anyway and I'll look for wires.
It appears that it might be doable. Also mini van and ZJ ones. Frankly I would hold out for one from a XJ just because for the most part it is plug and play. I can't comment on '97 or '98 ones in an '00. What I can tell you is that '00 and '01 would be plug and play. I put a '99 one in my '00. Not quite plug and play but easy enough.

About a '99 in an '00. What you should do if you can.
Grab everything. Lighted visors, wiring harness, bracket, overhead console, temp sensor and the little harness connected to it. Hell I would even grab the headliner if you can.

I am little confused though. You have a temp sensor in your jeep connected to the harness. The harness is there but don't see why you would have a temp sensor if your Jeep did not come with an overhead console. Also is there a little harness, maybe a foot long, between the harness that you can't see where it goes and the temp sensor itself.

Why you want the visors if doing the '99 to '00. Visors in a '99 are one wire with an internal ground. '00 is a 2 wire set up. Now you could probably figure something out but I figure it is just easier to use the '99 ones. And you will want to make sure that the color the same as your Jeep. Fabric could be changed to match but remember the plastic mirror is also either Camel or Agate.

You will need to repin the bigger of the 2 connectors that go in the footwell area. Using the bigger of the 2 from your dome light harness.

Last is the little harness connected to the temp sensor. This part I really did not understand. The connector that you see hanging up front looks like you could plug a temp sensor right into it. Also so you know that temp sensor was used it a boatload of Mopars. I stole mine from a Lebaron I think. Thing is I could not get it to plug in and click. I could press it in, hold in position, and the temp would read on the overhead. But not get it to click and stay. I have a little theory about that. Thinking they somehow screwed up the connector on the main harness. To fix the problem made the short harness. Just a theory.

I do have some pictures of this if you need them.

Last edited by Ralph77; 10-19-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:50 AM
Old fart with a wrench

What I don't understand is the sensor is already there and connected to a harness, but the wire just disappears and I didn't trace it because it looked like rain and I was trying to get the headlight upgrade done before that happened. Why would it have a sensor without some way to read it? I just checked and this was built in 3-00 so it's not a rebadged 99. It also doesn't have a SKIM or ABS either. Kinda weird, don't ya think?

BTW, I put Sylvania Silver Star 6054 bulbs in it and they light up the world quite nicely. I have to check the aim. It seems they light up the road centerline and not spread across it properly.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-19-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:56 AM
CF Veteran

What I don't understand is the sensor is already there and connected to a harness, but the wire just disappears and I didn't trace it because it looked like rain and I was trying to get the headlight upgrade done before that happened. Why would it have a sensor without some way to read it? I just checked and this was built in 3-00 so it's not a rebadged 99. It also doesn't have a SKIM or ABS either. Kinda weird, don't ya think?
I do find that strange that you have a temp sensor in there. Do you have the little harness I was talking about? I would not worry about trying to find out where it goes. What I would do is look up the build sheet for your Jeep. Go here:

https://www.jeepslimited.com/

Scroll down a bit to Want to get a build sheet and click on the words this link. Unfortunately they appear to be down for maintenance at the moment. You are going to need your VIN.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I already have my build sheet. I downloaded it before I even picked up the jeep from the seller!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

I already have my build sheet. I downloaded it before I even picked up the jeep from the seller!
Any mention of an overhead ? I mean if the computer crapped out and annoyed the PO I could see them installing a dome light set up.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The XJ temp sensor goes directly to the computer in the XJ Overhead Console. The ZJ and WJ ones go to the body control module, which then sends out the info over the CCD bus.

So you can't take a ZJ or WJ OHC and put it in an XJ without a lot more work. Not to mention the mounting issues.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:14 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Any mention of an overhead ? I mean if the computer crapped out and annoyed the PO I could see them installing a dome light set up.
It has a domelight setup with map lights and no indications of a headliner change or show a hole in the forward section where it mounted. I don't really need to do this, it's just I miss having it like in my WJ. The compass is especially nice for those dark country roads you've never been on before so you know which way to turn to get close to where you want to go. It also is useful in the middle of a snowstorm when the wind direction changes. You tend to get real cautious when that happens!

Old 10-20-2018, 06:29 AM
CF Veteran

It has a domelight setup with map lights and no indications of a headliner change or show a hole in the forward section where it mounted. I don't really need to do this, it's just I miss having it like in my WJ. The compass is especially nice for those dark country roads you've never been on before so you know which way to turn to get close to where you want to go. It also is useful in the middle of a snowstorm when the wind direction changes. You tend to get real cautious when that happens!
Again that is weird that you do have the temp sensor there. Mine had the wiring but no sensor. Still curious if you have the little harness I was talking about. With what looks like a lot of effort to hook up a ZJ or WJ one as wizardpc said to get full functionality you would just be better holding out for a XJ overhead from a '97 and up. Not sure what it would take to put a '97 or '98 in a '00 though. This is a picture of the connectors for the various years. Not sure how you would repin a '97 or '98 to an '00. Seeing how there is 3 connectors. Repinning a '99 to an '00 or '01 is straight forward.