Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

:: XJ no crank issue. ASD relay?::

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default :: XJ no crank issue. ASD relay?::

My jeep is not cranking. When I turn the key to "on" all the gauges work and the AC blower comes on. But when I turn the key to "start" I get a faint click and then immediately the gauges and blower shut off and I get a dead jeep. I can try a million times and get the same result.
Jeep is a 1999 4.0 with a manual trans (no neutral saftey switch).

I have replaced the battery and the starter thinking it was for sure one of those. I have switched the starter relay with the A/C relay and filled out a faulty starter relay.

I now think it might be the ASD relay.
It also might be an ignition switch.
Or POSSIBLY a faulty ground. Though the jeep was running fine for as long as I can remember until this happened. Went from 100% to 0%.

The strange thing is when I replaced the starter the jeep fired right up. Once I got home, it is doing the same thing it was in the first place.

Daily driver here so any help is always appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigC9164
My jeep is not cranking. When I turn the key to "on" all the gauges work and the AC blower comes on. But when I turn the key to "start" I get a faint click and then immediately the gauges and blower shut off and I get a dead jeep. I can try a million times and get the same result.
Jeep is a 1999 4.0 with a manual trans (no neutral saftey switch).

I have replaced the battery and the starter thinking it was for sure one of those. I have switched the starter relay with the A/C relay and filled out a faulty starter relay.

I now think it might be the ASD relay.
It also might be an ignition switch.
Or POSSIBLY a faulty ground. Though the jeep was running fine for as long as I can remember until this happened. Went from 100% to 0%.

The strange thing is when I replaced the starter the jeep fired right up. Once I got home, it is doing the same thing it was in the first place.

Daily driver here so any help is always appreciated!
Thanks!
Bump
Old 01-24-2016, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Start with the basics, make sure all of your battery cables are secure and clean. Also, When the Jeep dies, how do you get it alive again?

It defiantly sounds like something is shorting out though.

If that checks out;

The following description of operation and tests apply only to the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) and fuel pump relays. The terminals on the bottom of each relay are numbered (Fig. 24) .

OPERATION
Terminal number 30 is connected to battery voltage. For both the ASD and fuel pump relays, terminal 30 is connected to battery voltage at all times.

The PCM grounds the coil side of the relay through terminal number 85.

Terminal number 86 supplies voltage to the coil side of the relay

When the PCM de-energizes the ASD and fuel pump relays, terminal number 87A connects to terminal 30. This is the Off position. In the off position, voltage is not supplied to the rest of the circuit. Terminal 87A is the center terminal on the relay.

When the PCM energizes the ASD and fuel pump relays, terminal 87 connects to terminal 30. This is the On position. Terminal 87 supplies voltage to the rest of the circuit.

TESTING
The following procedure applies to the ASD and fuel pump relays.

Remove relay from connector before testing.
With the relay removed from the vehicle, use an ohmmeter to check the resistance between terminals 85 and 86. The resistance should be between 75 +/- 5 ohms .
Connect the ohmmeter between terminals 30 and 87A. The ohmmeter should show continuity between terminals 30 and 87A.
Connect the ohmmeter between terminals 87 and 30. The ohmmeter should not show continuity at this time.
Connect one end of a jumper wire (16 gauge or smaller) to relay terminal 85. Connect the other end of the jumper wire to the ground side of a 12 volt power source .
Connect one end of another jumper wire (16 gauge or smaller) to the power side of the 12 volt power source . Do not attach the other end of the jumper wire to the relay at this time.
WARNING: Do not allow ohmmeter to contact terminals 85 or 86 during this test.

Attach the other end of the jumper wire to relay terminal 86. This activates the relay. The ohmmeter should now show continuity between relay terminals 87 and 30. The ohmmeter should not show continuity between relay terminals 87A and 30.
Disconnect jumper wires.
Replace the relay if it did not pass the continuity and resistance tests. If the relay passed the tests, it operates properly. Check the remainder of the ASD and fuel pump relay circuits.
© 2016 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
SilverfoxXJ (02-25-2023)
Old 02-13-2016, 05:04 PM

ended up being a bad battery cable from battery to starter.

replaced, has worked fine ever since.

thanks for the help everyone!
i cant believe it ended up being something so simple!
Old 05-22-2021, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

so I think I'm actually experiencing this issue or something similar.... can I butt in?. plz.
had melting at wire harness and rebuild it. have voltage at oil pressure Su. no voltage GOING IN TO ignition coil. . brand new PCM and harness appeared to be properly repaired. if I could find a replacement I would. but its is a 99 cherokee 5 speed FEDERAL emissions. unless yall know where I can get one.. checked cap-part and nothin yet